Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Feature to Reduce Spam - RBLs

During the first two weeks of February, WestHost implemented a new feature in spam rejection called a Real-Time Blackhole List (RBL). We have had many clients already install RBLs on their accounts and it has made a noticeable difference in reducing the amount of spam they have received. For more information on the installation and usage of RBLs with your WestHost account, please visit our Dynamic Spam Rejection with RBLs documentation found at http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/s...htm#SA_RBL.htm

RBLs reference lists of IP addresses that have been flagged as potential spam senders. During the process of accepting an incoming e-mail, your mail server will take the IP address of the computer sending you the e-mail and see if that IP address is listed in an RBL. If the IP address has been listed then your mail server will not accept the incoming e-mail. Otherwise, the e-mail will be accepted.

The reduction of spam will not only save you time, but from a technical standpoint there are some benefits to installing the RBL Site Application. Rejecting spam before processing the e-mail reduces server resource utilization. You should also understand that e-mail messages rejected by an RBL are more likely to reduce the overall problem of spam because the source will receive a notice indicating their message was blocked. If the sender of the blocked message is in fact legitimate, they will know the message was rejected and why.

We hope you will utilize and benefit from this new spam rejection feature now available in your Site Applications section of your Site Manager. The RBL documentation link above should help answer any questions. If however you need additional support, please contact our Technical Support Department.
    Sincerely,

Brian Chambers
    General Manager
    WestHost

When you expect more from your Web host
    http://www.westhost.com/

This is a great new feature! One thing I noticed immediately when switching to WestHost was a dramatic increase in spam. My other service provider must have had a better built-in spam solution. So this is a welcome development.

I installed the RBL service yesterday at 5pm. And twelve hours later I still had received over 100 spam e-mails, many of them marked as spam by Spam Assassin. I had expected at least the e-mails marked as spam to be rejected. So I'm wondering why the RBL service is not yet working as I expected.

Any ideas or solutions are appreciated. Thanks

You should send a support ticket into WH if you have not already. That way they can check and see what may be going on.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign
    You should send a support ticket into WH if you have not already. That way they can check and see what may be going on.
    Thanks, Joker. I did so after your recommendation, and the rep said I was set-up correctly. So I guess the RBL isn't giving the results I had hoped for.

I'm wondering, is there any way to view the messages that the RBL listing is rejecting? There was no indication of that in the WestHost response.

You can turn on Mail Logging. Logs and Logging at Jalal's site
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

I can't find a "customer feedback" address on the Contact page, so I'll say it here... Thanks so much for adding RBL support! My spam traffic has dropped from a flood to a trickle. Fantastic job.

Default What lists are you using?

My spam traffic has dropped from a flood to a trickle.
    Would you mind sharing what lists you are using? I set my RBL up with the three defaults and while I am seeing improvement, I am not getting the results you are.

Charlie

My account was setup with sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, bl.spamcop.net, dnsbl.sorbs.net and dnsbl.njabl.org.

You can run
    $ grep dnsbl /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
    to get a listing of what you are using.

Default rbl

Jalal:

Thanks! I changed mine to match yours. Will see what happens!

Charlie

i'm finding dnsbl.sorbs.net to be overzealous.

i had to add an exception for my own home ip address in /etc/mail/access, because sorbs lists all dynamic isp host ranges. ok, i can deal with that. but i then found that sorbs lists some of my own isp's mail servers so cc'ed copies of my own emails were being rejected.

i'm done with sorbs.