Default Any proxies allowed on VPS?

Wondering if I am allowed to run a private socks proxy for personal use in any of your VPS packages. Going to travel round the world for a while and worried that I may lose online access to my credit cards if I log in from too many places. I didn't see anything on this topic in your terms of service, only that IRC stuff is disallowed.

Oh, and if this is allowed feel free to recommend any software that would be good for this purpose.

I would suggest asking Westhost directly.

They generally don't track the forums closely, so may or may not see your question here.

In response to your question regarding setting up a proxy server on a VPS, the answer would be yes, it is possible. There have been a handful of other clients that have successfully implemented proxy servers on their VPSs as well. Please be aware that as it is currently not a supported feature of the VPSs, WestHost will be unable to assist with the actual set up of the proxy server itself (unless issued through Custom Services).

As a voice of warning: Be careful when setting up your proxy server and be sure to properly secure it so as to prevent others from using all of the bandwidth allotted to your account (by routing their traffic through the 'open' proxy).

sh_mercury's response is spot on. I'll second that warning too-- there are websites that dedicate themselves to finding and listing open proxies. The people who frequent these sites are not the kind of people you want using your proxy. Not only do you risk using up all your bandwidth, but there is a big potential for causing lots of load on your server when tons of people all try to use it at once.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Any advice as to what software would be easy/safe to use as a private no-cache http/htpps proxy would be appreciated.

If you are looking to proxy HTTP/HTTPS only then Apache can do this with mod_proxy, which is installed (but not configured) by default. You can find documentation at "http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_proxy.html".

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyb0y
    If you are looking to proxy HTTP/HTTPS only then Apache can do this with mod_proxy, which is installed (but not configured) by default. You can find documentation at "http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_proxy.html".
    mod_proxy works well, and you can make it pretty secure by configuring it to only allow connections from the localhost. Then you forward the port it's listening on over a ssh connection from your remote location. I can provide the exact configuration parameters for this if you need. Although I am not currently doing this on my westhost domains, I do this on my home server very reliably. By using port forwarding in this manner, nobody without ssh access to your server can access the proxy, and all web traffic is encrypted.

Default Help Setting Up a Mod_proxy

Hey jponiato,
    I read your response regarding mod_proxy. Do you think you can point me to a step by step tutorial on setting up mod_proxy? Basically what I want is a no-cache proxy that will allow me to access other website through my hosting account. Can you please help with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogesh View Post
    Hey jponiato,
    I read your response regarding mod_proxy. Do you think you can point me to a step by step tutorial on setting up mod_proxy? Basically what I want is a no-cache proxy that will allow me to access other website through my hosting account. Can you please help with this?
    There may be an easier way. Just dynamically forward a port through ssh. In PuTTY, thats accomplished by entering 8081 (or any high port you want) in the tunnel field under ssh, select "Dynamic", and click [Add]. You should then save the new setting.

If you're using a command-line ssh interface like OpenSSH, then the command would be like this:
    ssh -D 8081 user@domain

Either way, once you have a dynamic port forwarded, set your browser to use a proxy. The address should be 127.0.0.1 and the port should be 8081 or whatever port you have forwarded using one of the methods above. That's all there is to it - you now have a private proxy, and all traffic between your PC and your Westhost domain is encrypted. This is how I'm doing it now.