Default Do I have web site link directly into Joomla or use HTML to link into Joomla?

I'm not sure if the subject makes sense but I just set up a web site with Joomla. Westhost of course installs Joomla in a subdirectory in my web area. I can go to my web page, www.(mywebpage)/joomla to get to my index.php joomla page. If I go directly to my web site www.(mywebpage) of course nothing shows up.
    My question, do most people install joomla in your root directory or can you somehow set up Joomla to have your root directory refer to it?
    Or better yet do most people use a program such as Dreamweaver to put up a simple web site (maybe as simple as a few lines) to refer to the joomla site to link directly into it?

Well the answer is "Yes".

All the alternatives that you mention are done by folks. It all depends on personal preference. The easiest would be to either place an html page in your root directory that pointed to joomla or to install it manually in your root directory.

You should look at what else you are going to do with your site. If you are going to install other things like a gallery or other php programs you may want to keep it in the sub directory and point to it.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to make the web site as easiest as possible. It will be simply a Joomla site that will be connected with a VirtueMart shopping site. Is there a simple link or so (just a couple lines or less) that when someone hits my home page it then goes directly into the joomla subdirectory to index.php. I like the idea of having the joomla subdirectory to keep things neat and in case I ever put a web page up in my root directory but yet I don't want to do that at this time.

I would create a regular .html page that had really good text content about your site in the Root directory. On that page put links to the key pages in Joomla that you want folks to visit. You could also place links to the key VirtueMart pages. Perhaps change it from time to time to feature products you want to really push. I would not suggest making it an automatic redirect to the Joomla area.

P.S. If you still want to just do a quick redirect then you can use this javascript in a regular .html page.
    HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    window.location = "http://yourdomain.com/joomla"
    //-->
    </script>
    Make sure to also put a regular link in the page also or Search Engins and folks who have javascirpt turned off well never find your site.
    Last edited by wildjokerdesign; 02-11-2007 at 08:17 AM.
    Shawn

That's a good suggestion. I bought a book on Dreamweaver not long ago and barely know HTML so am not sure how well I'd do at this but I like the idea of having that first page with links to certain areas of Virtuemart and joomla.

I meant to ask this but as well if I make a html site that has links to Joomla can I also link from Joomla to my main html page, kind of like a button saying link to main page?

Pretty sure you should be able to add a button or link back to your main web page in Joomla. Check their site for more information on how the program works. http://www.joomla.org/ I don't use the program and it has been quite some time since I have even played with it but pretty sure there was an area in the Admin section where you could control the "menu" or "main links".
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by markw10
    I'm not sure if the subject makes sense but I just set up a web site with Joomla. Westhost of course installs Joomla in a subdirectory in my web area. I can go to my web page, www.(mywebpage)/joomla to get to my index.php joomla page. If I go directly to my web site www.(mywebpage) of course nothing shows up.
    My question, do most people install joomla in your root directory or can you somehow set up Joomla to have your root directory refer to it?
    Or better yet do most people use a program such as Dreamweaver to put up a simple web site (maybe as simple as a few lines) to refer to the joomla site to link directly into it?
    The answer is in the httpd.conf file. Down at the bottom you will see your VirtualHost entries. If you have set this up correctly, the first entry is the default hosting for the VS and after that you will have the VirtualHost entries for each of the domains hosted on the VS. Find the entry for the domain where you are hosting Joomla and edit the line
    Code:
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/path-to-hosting
    to
    Code:
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/path-to-hosting/joomla
    This has the effect of moving /var/www/html/path-to-hosting out of the public domain and gives you somewhere to put the scripts, includes and any other files you don't want accessed from the domain name - remember to edit php.ini if you put includes here, etc.

WARNING - you must have the VS default site set up on the first VirtualHost position and the domain on the second VirtualHost if you are only hosting one domain on the VS. This means that you will access your control panel through the VS default domain name - something.whsites.net on my VS - and not through your domain name.