Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sendmail not sending?

I'm trying to set up a simple script to process a form for a classmate with an account here.

I've used the same script on several different hosting servers with no problem. The form and script seem to be working flawlessly, but no mail is delivered. I tested the exact same script on other hosting accounts and it works fine, so it's not the script. I don't get any errors, unless I mess something up on purpose.

All seems to be working properly, just no mail. There's no need to activate Sendmail or something like that, right?

HELP!

p.s., also I get an error when I try to use.... "use CGI::Carp qw(warningsToBrowser fatalsToBrowser);"

Check for a deadletter file in your account root directory. Is the mail there? Did you set up the user that you are trying to send to via your Site Manager? Check in the scripts configuration files for paths to sendmail.
    WH Paths
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default No deadletter file

I didn't find a deadletter file anywhere.

Not sure what you mean about setting up the recipient in Site Manager.

Do I need to update to the newer version of perl? Do I need FastCGI installed? I've never encountered these problems with other hosting servers.

It is hard to know what you may need without knowing what the script is. Where did the script come from or is it something you coded? FastCGI should not be a requirement to get something to work.

When I asked about setting up the reciepient in Site Manager I ment did you log in and create an Email/FTP account for them.

Do you know what version of perl the other hosting company was running?
    Shawn

I just realized I did not answer your question about CGI::Carp. I don't think that module is installed by default on the VPS but you can add modules manually. You do need to install the GNU Compiler Collection that is available in Site Applications under Developement. If you have never installed a module this page may help.
    Shawn

Default Still puzzled

My script is pretty simple, almost identical to the first one linked on this page: http://scripts.cgi101.com/

I even substituted the script with the one I just linked, removing "Carp". Everything appears to be working normal, I get my thank you page and all, just no delivery of the email. I can even link the same form to the exact same script at an external host and it works perfectly (with email delivery).

Is there something in that script that won't work for this host server?

I've used it on sites hosted at GoDaddy, Startlogic, and Gate. All using Perl 5.6.

Thanks for your help, but I'm about to give up and just suggest an alternate host for my friend, or maybe just link to one of my cgi folders on a different host.

The important question was whether you have setup the account through Site Manager or not. Put another way, is it a real email account with a home directory or is it an alias or what...?
    The fact that you used another script and get the same result indicates that you have something not correct with your email setup.

I'm testing the script by sending the results to an email address which is completely unrelated to the account itself.

Is there something that needs to be set up in Site Manager to allow sendmail to send data? I don't have anything set up in the email accounts. Do I need to activate sendmail in some way?

I can receive mail no problem, even with the same script on other hosting servers. I've tried different email addresses also with the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by fielder
    I'm testing the script by sending the results to an email address which is completely unrelated to the account itself.
    Then I doubt it has anything to do with the script. Well almost. More then likely the email account you are sending the results to is somehow marking it as spam and sending it to a junk folder or something.

Also it is still possible that your paths are not set right. You never answered if you had checked your paths to Sendmail. Looking at the script you refreneced there if you left them as they have them you should be ok but not sure if you had changed them for other accounts.

I would suggest not useing the script. It is not very secure. There is the FormMail that WH offers or the alternatives at NMS Project.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by fielder
    Is there something that needs to be set up in Site Manager to allow sendmail to send data? I don't have anything set up in the email accounts. Do I need to activate sendmail in some way?
    No there is nothing that needs to be activated. All you would need to do is create an Email/FTP account if you wanted to recieve mail for some user.
    Shawn