Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default can I ask too many questions? side nav

is there a way to keep the left side navigation that collapses, open at all times and NOT in collapse mode? I want to have the catagories and subcatagories showing all the time.

thank you ...I tried searching the documentation, but I must not be using the right words!

Kari

Default wizywig

Rispku....thank you. you are so great!
    do you know if the wizywig type of editor is worth the $$ to get? I am not a programmer....I can make my way around html but that's about it! I can sort of see what the miva code is doing, but too chicken to mess with it too much. Would this be something worth investing in?

thanks for your advice
    Kari

Kari,

Not sure what WYSIWYG editor you are talking about but as a rule you should not need them and they would not help you any with the PHP or script of something like Miva. They are normally for editing HTML and since you say you are comfortable with that I don't know that you need to spend the money on one. It may be a module that is available for Miva but if it is then it would be browser based and these are often a bit buggy or add HTML code to the page that is not always the best way of doing things.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thanks Joker for your response. I did get the previous module that rispku recommended. only because I had no clue how to make changes to the side nav. now as i read the code hints that they give you for the catagory tree...I am able to make it stay open like I wanted, but I would like to use CSS to control the font and link color.....this is a sample code they gave me....

&mvt:tree:class; - Class name for CSS / StyleSheets.

“cat, cat1, cat2” - The number being how deep the level
    Example StyleSheet would be:
    <style type="text/css" media="all">
    a.cat:link {
    font-weight : normal;
    font-size : 12px;
    background-color : #ffffcc;
    }
    a.cat2:link {
    background-color : #ffffcc;
    }
    </style>

now my question for this is.....do I just add that <style></style> to my existing style sheet (that i used for some html style) or where do I put it? and how and where do I call it? on the cattree template or on the individual pages?

my new motto....deep breath....one day at a time....EVENTUALLY you'll have this site together lol

Kari,

rispku knows more about how Miva works but I will try and give you some genral help. If the style sheet is called on all pages for Miva then you should be able to add the class to it but it looks like they have given you "code" to add to the head of the page. The text that you see between the open <style type="text/css" media="all"> and close </style> can be placed inside a style sheet that is called in the head of your page. You do not need the tags if you put it there. If you put it in the head of the page then you use the tags. Hope I did not confuse you there.

You don't have to "call" it once you have put it in the head or in the style sheet. It looks to me like the classes are already used on the links and they have simply provided you with the class names that are used. rispku will know for sure on that one I would imagine.
    Shawn

do you know if the wizywig type of editor is worth the $$ to get? I am not a programmer....I can make my way around html but that's about it! I can sort of see what the miva code is doing, but too chicken to mess with it too much.
    Only if you need it for simple html layouts. Like Joker said, it won't touch the MivaScript elements on the pages you can use it on. However, I previously said in another thread that I think it's much too expensive. It's based on a free html editor, fckeditor; they simply integrated it with MM. Further, it can't be used if SSL is active and you'll still need to manually upload images with ftp. Personally, I think you'd be better off saving the money and getting a good book on HTML/XHTML or using a real wysiwyg editor and copying the html over into MM.
    now my question for this is.....do I just add that <style></style> to my existing style sheet (that i used for some html style) or where do I put it? and how and where do I call it?
    Just add the rules between the style tags to your existing stylesheet.
    Last edited by rispku; 08-21-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Hi Rispku...
    I know that I add the "rules" between the style tag....and make sure that the CSS file is envoked (or whatever you call it) in the head of the pages that I want to use it on.... I will go back and read what you wrote in a previous post about CSS.... I must have read it 50 times lol
    so in my page it says..... class="&mvt:tree:class;" so that is refering to the css page that I create?
    I don't know why I am having such a hard time grasping this! I use basic css in html pages all the time. I typically link the css file....when I want to use the class I just say class="whatever" and it works. the dang &mvt:tree:class syntax is totally confusing me .
    thank you both for your patience!
    Kari
    I'm feeling really dumb! geez

"&mvt:tree:class;" is an element/variable that will be replaced with whatever the value of it is when the page is compiled/parsed. (The value should be the name of the class.) You can verify this by looking at the page source of your store while browsing the catalog.
    the dang &mvt:tree:class syntax is totally confusing me .
    You can change it to a static value (eg, class="catlink") if you don't want your subcategories to have a different style.

Kari,

I had a look at your site and you are on the right track. In your PM you mentioned that you wanted to control the mouse over color of the sidebar links. They are indeed using class=cat, class=cat1 etc. At the moment you are only up to cat1 but if you go any deeper with your categories you will end up with more i.e. cat2, cat3 etc. So armed with that knowledge you can fully control how those links will look by simply adding to stylesheet.css. Right now all you have in that file is this:
    Code:
    .bodytxt {
    	font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    	font-size: 12px;
    	font-style: normal;
    	font-weight: normal;
    	color: #000000;
    }

a.cat:link {
    color : #ffffff;
    }

a.cat:vlink {
    color : #000000;
    }
    a.cat1:link {
    color : #ffffcc;
    }
    If you want to manipulate the mouse over color of the link then add this:
    Code:
    a.cat:hover {
    }
    a.cat1:hover {
    }
    That would make the hover color black. At the moment you have your top or cat set to white and your sub or cat1 set to yellow in color. You have the visited link color for top or cat set to black but you have not set that for sub or cat1. It is all just simple straight forward CSS. Don't let the code of Miva confuse you.

Ok now you have in the <body> tag for your page the following;
    Code:
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff" link="#00458c" vlink="#042a52" alink="yellow">
    If you do not set those for all your category links in your CSS file then the different class=cat.. links will show as that by default. So if something is not showing as you expect it to check that you have added a style for the cat... in question. Do you follow what I am saying?

Something else that I noticed was that your side nave table is not using any CSS and that the color of the font is being set using following simple HTML tag:
    Code:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="-1" color="a61e54">
    That means that if they are on the page of the "link" in question that it will show up in red since when a person is on a page it is not a link but just plain text. Again I hope I am not confusing you and if so please ask for clarification.

You might want to find the place in the Miva code where you can add a static class for the <td> that the menu is in instead of using the <font> tag. I would assume that unless the code sets this dynamically with
    the dang &mvt:tree:class syntax is totally confusing me .
    that it will simply look like the font tag I posted above. Looking at your shoe page I get the feeling that maybe you have some place in the admin area of Miva where you can set colors of things. I notice that the link for say "T10 for Men" has font tags around it and the information below it. There is not class set for that linked item. I suspect that at some point you are going to want to control the color of that link also. It is being controlled by the <body> tag entry at the moment so you would need to either change that or remove that and use CSS to control your links. My choice would be to ditch the body tag entries and use CSS to it's fullest.
    Shawn