Thread: awstats

Default awstats

i just installed the stats on my site. what i dont understand is that in one day it is telling me that i hav over 5ooo hits. my site isnt even advertised yet. i havent submitted it to any search engins. its "live" but i did a check and its around 300,000. how can i be getting these numbers when its no where to be found,
    and when im viewing the stats and i hit update now the hits go up one

thanks
    Last edited by lclark; 06-30-2006 at 08:56 PM.

If the search engins have been spidering the site (which I assume they have since you mention it was 300,000) then those would count as hits. Depending on the spider that can rack up pretty fast. Also if this has to do with your other post where Jalal mentioned Alexa then I know for a fact that thier spider can go a bit haywire. At one time I had to block them on one of my sites because it was driveing up my bandwidth so fast. In theroy these legit spiders are not supposed to cause an increas like this and when I contacted them they got back to me (after four months) to say the spider was working with in thier limits.
    Last edited by wildjokerdesign; 07-01-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

the site jalal sent me came up with a number in the 300000, and sometimes the bandwith was so high. but i have not submitted the site to anyone yet. its just there. thanks for your reply

You can click on "Robots/Spiders visitors" to see which spider is giving you that hit. Is it Googlebot, Yahoo Slurp, MSNBot,GigaBot, etc? Today, you don't need to submit to major search engines in order to get spidered. Having your site linked from somewhere is enough for your site to get spidered.

What is your bandwidth consumed by bots? If the bandwidth consumed by bots in one month is not more than 10 times the size of your site, I don't think you need to worry about the bandwidth as I think it should be enough with your hosting plan (though I personally think that the bandwidth given by Westhost is now a little bit small compared to some hosting companies. Anyway, can't blame Westhost as web hosting business is very competitive).

You need not worry much about hits because a single web page can easily translate into multiple hits if it has images, etc.

What is your number of unique visitor and page view?
    Last edited by Mistra; 07-01-2006 at 06:27 AM.

thanks for the iformative answer, i just took a look and as of thismorning it had 9 unique visitors and 91 hits. that makes more sence.