Default Be gentle with me.........

This was my very first effort and I will be very truthful - I don't know diddly squat ....
    so I would appreciate constructive criticism of the following site:

www.fishingcreekoutfittersinc.com

Thanks,

Not bad! I like the logo.

Some suggestions:

1. You might want to consider getting an additional, shorter domain name. The one you have now is somewhat long, and not easy to remember. Domains aren't that expensive and setting up a redirect isn't difficult.
    2. Lose the marquee/scrolling text at the top of the home page. It's distracting and really doesn't look right. If you really want visitor feedback, you'll probably have better luck getting them to vote in a poll than emailing you their opinion.
    3. Similarly, you should probably get rid of the counter. I doubt your visitors are really going to be interested in the number of people who've been there. Setting up a log anylizer will ultimately provide you with much more useful information regarding those visitors and not require you to display anything on your webpages.
    4. I'm somewhat torn over the weather forecast box. I can see how it can actually be relavent to your site, but it does kind of stick out like a sore thumb.
    5. You should add the business phone/fax numbers and address to every page. Don't make people hunt for such vital information!
    6. Some of your "content boxes" need to be fixed; the text is spilling over the borders. This appears to be caused by your use of absolute height/width values. See your projects page for example. In Firefox and Konqueror the last sentences in the bottom two boxes are spilling over the bottom border. Deleting the height property should correct this. Example:
      Change this (bottom box):
      Code:
      <div style="position: absolute; width: 590px; height: 90px; z-index: 16; left: 128px; top: 274px; visibility: visible; border-style: solid; border-color: #003300" id="layer27" align="center">
      to this:
      Code:
      <div style="position: absolute; width: 590px; z-index: 16; left: 128px; top: 274px; visibility: visible; border-style: solid; border-color: #003300" id="layer27" align="center">
    7. Why did you change the layout for your contact page? Try to keep your design consistant across all pages. This is an especially important point when you're dealing with your navigation links.
    8. On your product pages, the links to the other categories on the bottom of the page, aren't wrapping. They're running off the side of the page and force me to scroll horizontally to view them. That's really annoying!
    Last edited by rispku; 06-16-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Default Thanks!

I really appreciate your time and advice!

rispku is right on target with thier suggestions and I agree.

In regards to the address and infromation, I woud place it on each page where you have it on the Home page. If you want to put the title of the page on each you could move it to the right or under your logo.

I also agree with the forcast box. It is too heavy for the design where you have it. You might be able to move it to the left column under your buttons if width of column and box allows for that. I did not look close at your source code.

If you want to keep the counter I would move it to the bottom left column also. I do agree with rispku that it really is not needed but I know some folks like haveing them. If you want to still have a counter you might want to think about going with service called SiteMeter. It is free and once you are signed up all you have to do is insert some javascript code into the pages you want tracked. It is very user friendly and although all the information they give you can be had by a program like Awstats it is sometimes easier for newbies to use.

You have posted your email addresses on your contact page. Again I did not look at the source code to make sure but did you protect them in anyway from being harvested by spammmers? I never post my email address but always use contact forms like FormMail that is provided by WestHost in the SiteManager.

If you want to enhance your Map and Directions page by takeing a look at the MapQuest free service.

You have a nice clean basic layout that I think works very well for your bussiness.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Overall, you did an excellent job!
    I'm curious, what web design program are you using?

http://www.fishingcreekoutfittersinc.com/index.htm
    Here your pic is nice looking with the focus on your business sign.
    Maybe crop the pic so that the sign is centered in the pic.

Due to shadows & poor lightng, I really can't see what's on the
    ground floor. If it's NOT important, then leave as is, otherwise,
    try reshooting pic when sun is overcast so that you get more
    even lighting. Then the ground floor might be more visible.

Also, the font under that photo could be increased a bit
    so make it easier on the eyes to read. For example, the
    font on your projects is a good size, but it flows outside the
    borders. I see no real need for the borders on either page.

Other than those minor things, you did an excellent job!

Caution about postng email addresses!
    Not a good idea to post them literally because the spammers will capture
    them using their bots and you will be overwhelmed with spam Email.

Look how I do it on my website all the way at the bottom of
    my home page. I created an image file that shows my email
    address and then linked that to a mailto: spec that is disguised
    to hide from the spammer's bots. See my source code.
    http://www.htworkshop.com/

Here's a few links to help you learn to disguise the Email addresses:

http://www.oit.umass.edu/umail/spam/masking.html

http://www.ascii.cl/

http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/disguise.html

---pete---
    Last edited by PeteF; 06-17-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Smile Thanks Guys!

Thanks for educating me and for not ripping me apart. I appreciate each and everyone of you for taking the time to explain things. I look forward to learning more from you by reading your other posts.
    Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!