Unhappy My site is sending emails

Hi;

This is my first post here and I'm not sure if this is right forum for my question. I have 2 email addresses on my site which are directed to me and are for visitors to send me info.

But I think I may have a virus in my site which is sending emails out to addresses not in my address book. I found this out when some of them are returned and sent to me as undeliverable. I get 2 or 3 of them every day. I was surprised when an email bounced back to me that was addressed to Paris Hilton's blackberry!

It may be that someone who visited my site had a virus that picked up one or 2 of my email addresses and is sending them out from his computer. Is there some way to find out?

Is there some way to configure my email accounts to prevent outgoing emails? Would Spam Assassin help?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Very doubtful that it is a "virus". Any spammer or hacker can send out an email that "looks" as if it has come from one of your email addresses. All they would need to know is the email address. Nothing you can do about that. No way to track it.

What you can do is never put your email address on your website. In other words do not type emailaddress@example.com on your website. Robots will come and harvest such things then add them to a database of emails that are used by spammers.

There are ways that an email can be "inserted" into webpages that can not be read by robots and you can also use programs like the WestHost provided FormMail to handle email contacts via your site. You will find more information on both these techniques in this area of the forum and on in the WestHost manual. Let me know if you can't find them.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default Site sending out emails?

Thanks Shawn. I'll look into Formail.

Cheers,
    Dennis

One thing to remember is that they already have your email addys in the database more then likely. That won't change and about the only thing you can do about that is to remove them and create new ones.

More then likely you will still get bounced emails because of the way the spammers send them out and it may even look like they where sent back to those accounts even if you remove them. Spammers are very clever. I wouldn't waste too much time on dealing with it aside from removeing them if you can and then createing new accounts to use that you then never post on your website or others. I actually have a couple free email accounts with both hotmail and yahoo that I use when I sign up for things on the internet. That helps since the filters on those systems are pretty restirctive and they have the resources to keep them updated. I can check those accounts from time to time to weed out any junk that does get through that I don't need.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Some good points there Shawn. I'll look into changing the email accounts.

Thanks,,
    Dennis