Question Adding a new service on a port

I'm working with a Java program that does some port forwarding for a specific setup for RealVNC. While working on this, I realized it would be very easy to adapt it for regular data transfer between two computers. It uses SSL with my own keys, certificates, and settings. While working on this, it occured to me that this would work well for transferring data to my clients (currently done by e-mail) and for a setting editor applet I'll be creating soon. That leaves me with a few questions. I've e-mailed tech support, but I haven't heard from them.

1) If I'm using my own certificates and keys, with my own Java server and client, is there any reason I need to use, care, or worry about Westhost's SSL certificates or anything like that? Or can I just use my own server class on my account and let it handle everything, as it does in my port forwarding setup?

2) What do I have to do on my Westhost account to be able to use my own Java program to handle connections on a port (not one below 1024, it could be almost any port)? Do they use xinetd, or does my own program handle all the connections on a port I'm using? Is there much of a difference, in Java, in how I program the SSLServerSocket if it's run by a program like xinetd than if my program runs and waits for connections on its own?

Thanks for any help, info, or links on this kind of work.

Hal
    Last edited by HalVaughan; 03-29-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Okay, I see a lot of views for this thread and no answers. I still don't have an answer from tech support. Is there an obvious answer somewhere that I haven't seen? Was I unclear in the questions? Or are these questions that no one has the answers to?

Any help would be appreciated, since it could give me a starting point to work from.

Thanks.

Alright... I'll try to give you some input, but I don't have authoritative answers.

1. SSL, if you have your own certificates then you don't need WH's SSL certs.

2. You can probably just start up your Java program and have it work. You can't really use xinetd as its not installed. But keep in mind that on Sphera VPS' most connections are handled outside of the VPS and then 'passed on' to the VPS to handle.

I have heard of some folks installing xinetd, but I'm not sure if you really need it. Another option you could look at is tunneling your app through SSH as that will always be available.

HTH, (but prob. not)

Let me say it myself, just to be sure I understand it.

From what you're saying, it sounds like all I have to do is set up my program to run on the server. I don't need to worry aboug xinetd or anything else. I can just have my Java program listening on the port I want to use and use my own trust/key stores without any issues regarding Westhost or Westhost's certificates, or Westhost's URL for an SSL connection on my site -- I just set up and run my program.

Am I right on that?

Thanks!

Well, I dunno about that. I run shops here with their own SSL certs and that is not a problem. But I don't know anything about your Java program, so I can't guarantee anything about that.

Try it and see!