I just wasted 20 minutes searching the WestHost manuals, the Joomla website, and the entire Web trying to find out what the heck Joomla is.
Oh, there's plenty of info that amounts to marketing hype but nothing really
tells you in simple terms what it is. I finally found a good description here
on the Westhost Forum posted by a junior member named Visibility.

SUGGESTION:
Take the description below and replace the one that is currently
shown here... http://members.westhost.com/sm_sa_community_mambo.html
Then reward junior member named Visibility for doing a better job than
even the developer of Joomla at describing what Joomla is. ---pete---

Source:
http://forums.westhost.com/showthrea...ghlight=joomla

WHAT IS JOOMLA?

To be more specific, Joomla is the name for the software under development by the original Mambo development team, who bolted en masse from the Mambo Foundation. Mambo and Joomla, thus, currently coexist as separate products, although Mambo's path isn't clear right now. Confused yet?

A CMS lets you update content through a web interface, i.e., you would no longer need Dreamweaver to create pages. New content pages are automatically linked up, so there's no need to go back and create links on other pages or nav menus. You can, of course, change site navigation menus via the same web interface.

A CMS is a different approach to managing a website. It takes the HTML coding (or Dreamweaver editing) out of the process. It lets you have multiple authors on a site, perhaps with different levels of permission. It also lets you easily add site features without any coding, like polls, event calendars, contact forms, etc. Instead, you manage modules and components by, you guessed it, the same web interface.

A CMS is a good choice if you will want multiple people adding content to the site, or even if one, non-technical person will add content to the site. I install them for non-technical clients who want to update their own site. If the site will be updated less frequently, and creating different graphic looks on individual pages is more important, then a traditional static site may work better.

--end--