Question Update Perl 5.6.0 to 5.8.7

I'd like to update Perl from 5.6.0 to 5.8.7 via the Site Manager. When I first try to uninstall 5.6.0, I receive a message that I must uninstall Neomail and I may lose data from Webalizer.

So if I uninstall Neomail and then reinstall it after the Perl update will any user data be lost? Should I manually back up files and/or directories? Which ones?

The same question for Webalizer. Will data be lost during the Perl update? Again, should I manually back up files and/or directories?

(BTW, my ultimate goal is to update SpamAssassin.)

Thanks.
    Last edited by bpk; 02-02-2006 at 07:46 AM.

I am pretty sure you are going to lose all your data if you do not back it up first. I don't use either program on a regualar basis so not sure where everything is stored but would imagin it is obvious inside when you view your web directories. That being said you would not lose things like the actual log files that Webalizer uses or even mail in the "normal" mail folders. It would be only what each of these programs have generated useing those files.

If I remeber right Neomail creates directories for each user that it stores information in and that would be lost. Webalizer creates some html pages that displayed the statistics. If you have had Webalizer installed for some time then it could be that some of the statistics would no longer be available since the logs those where in have been rotated out or deleted.

Bottom line is yes you should backup everything you can find for these if you want to try and restore them to thier original state once you are through. This is one thing I don't like about the "upgrade" process of SiteManager and hopefully that will change at some point.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default More on Perl and PHP Backup

I'm in the same boat. I wish there were some documentation on what to backup exactly. I am not technically proficient enough to just tell me: Backup the Perl data... Backkup the PHP data...

I'm actually more worried about PHP. If I have a database (for a blog), will the entire database be in danger? Again, can anybody help me figure out what to backup? Thanks.

Another thing, I just went ahead and did the SpamAssassin upgrade, and now my email isn't working. I'll contact customer support about that.

Default More to the point

I just checked Webalizer for the site that I updated (without backing up any Perl data -- I was tired and didn't know what...). Anyway, I checked Webalizer and the past year (at least) of data all seems to be there in order.

Now if I can just get my email working again.

Ah, another thing, I have another site where I'm still using Mojo Mail. I wonder what to backup in that case...? I don't want to lose that mailing list. I wonder, though, if Mojo Mail is so out of date that it's not secure anymore.

Sorry, I really am tired. Thanks for any advice you all can give regarding my previous question and/or backing up Mojo Mail.

As always, Joker, thanks for the info.

Hey Glocom -- Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I managed to get Perl updated to the latest version. I didn't have any trouble with Webalizer. Neomail was a problem though. I had to uninstall Neomail in order to update Perl (as per the Control Panel installation script). So I backed up the Neomail (/var/neomail) directory and then uninstalled Neomail via the Control Panel. Next I updated Perl. Here's the problem... When you uninstall Neomail you are not able to reinstall it via the Control Panel. It is gone because WH changed their webmail app to Uebimaiu. I was upset about this and contacted support. They were nice enough to try to manually reinstall Neomail for me, but when I tried to use it, there were some conflicts with the new version of Perl and thus it did not work. I ultimately switched over to Uebimaiu.

Quote Originally Posted by bpk
    Here's the problem... When you uninstall Neomail you are not able to reinstall it via the Control Panel. It is gone because WH changed their webmail app to Uebimaiu.
    This is good to know since I haven't upgraded perl yet and I use neomail. My spam filtering setup depends on folders in neomail. It's not going to be easy to transfer it to uebimaiu. I guess I'll hold off on that upgrade a little longer.

Hmm... seems as if we need to start documenting what we back up and where it is so others can benifit from our experiances. I'll try to give some general guidelines.

Many php scripts use a MySQL database i.e. phpBB. You can install phpMyAdmin and check to see what databases you have installed and back them up via that program. Now if you want you could back up copies of the "raw" files for each database also although simply restoreing once you are through may or may not work. They should be located in /var/lib/mysql/ inside that direcotory you will find directories for each database you have. I have actually zipped these and downloaded them before then used them on local test sites but it can be tricky to make work.

For programs that you have installed via the SiteManager see if you can track where they where installed. Often a directory is added to /var/www/html for the program i.e. phpMyAdmin is added to /var/www/html/pma. Now that may not be where you will find your install of phpMyAdmin if it is older since I think the location has changed recently. You just have to kind of explore to see where they are. Some things are added to /var/www/html/pugins/ directory. I have one account where Webalizer (or part of it) was intalled there along with the php test files. Perl or cgi scripts are most likely going to be installed in /var/www/cgi-bin but I think some may also add files to your public www directory depending on what they are.

When I am trying to track down where files are I look for a config file for the program. This can be the main file for the program or perhaps a file called config or settings. They are often in the same direcotry as the main program. You can very often get and idea by visiting the site for the program. This file may have clues to where other files may be kept. Look for paths and such.

When it comes to backing up things like perl or even php I am not sure you can really back them up. They are too tied into how everything else works. I recently was trying to clean up an account and uninstalled the GNU interface since I did not think I would be useing it. BIG mistake! The uninstall actually removed some files that other programs where reliant on. Normally this shouldn't happen but it is a bug of sorts right now in the uninstall process for that Site App. I had to have tech re-install it for me to get my site back up and running. It took down everything and I do mean everything.. I could not even telenet into the account.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Specifically, a description of the steps necessary to move existing accounts/messages from neomail to uebimaiu would be great if someone has already done it and can put it in writing.

I have several accounts that still need to be updated and I want my clients to experience a smooth transition. I haven't had a chance yet to chase down the specifics on my own.

Thanks! Fritz
    Last edited by coppercup; 03-13-2006 at 09:03 AM.