Default OsCommerce installation and configuration

I recently installed osCommerce version 2.2. I had to have some WestHost help since the installation kept hanging up whenever I tried to do it. Ever since the WestHost techs installed it for me, I've been trying to get it configured the way I need it. Found out today that my version doesn't look like the one on the osCommerce site, and it doesn't give access to all the features it should. Some examples:
    - The osCommerce site shows graphics for working on features, such as a little green wrench and a blue trash can. Mine doesn't have that.
    - Much more seriously, the osCommerce support site says that I can do a lot more editing than my version will allow. For example, I wanted to change the fields marked as “required” for new customer accounts, and the osCommerce site said I could do that (Admin-Config-Customer Details); however, my version only gives me access to five items (gender, DOB, company, suburb, and state), and even then any changes don't seem to take effect. Another section (Admin-Config-Services) isn’t even on my version. There were a bunch of other glitches like this, leaving me after many days of work with a store that looks cobbled together and no idea how to fix it.

Any thoughts? I’m just a solo business owner, not a computer programmer; I can do HTML but nothing beyond that.

Until the next project version is released, documentation is provided separately and is generated automatically on a daily basis from the content of the Knowledge Base site. The Knowledge Base site is made for the current development version of the project and may contain sections that no longer apply to the current milestone release that is available for download.
    I saw that on the osCommerce site on thier main Documentation page. It may be possible you are looking at things that are going to be available in the next release. They do have a fourms: http://forums.oscommerce.com/ That may help you figure out some of the things. I wish I could give you more but I am not a regular osCommerce user. Hopefully a regular user of it will stop in and give you some pointers but in the past thier visits have been rare so wanted to try and give you some input on the matter.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

In the file 'catalog/includes/application_top.php there is a line with 'PROJECT_VERSION' in it. What does the line say?
    Also, in the same file, what does line 3 have (the one that starts with '$Id:')?

And what was the problem with installing? I've installed many and not had that problem.

There is no reason you shouldn't have everything working. But, I should mention, osCommerce is an excellent shopping system, but it isn't really a 'plug and play' setup. You will have to get used to seeing PHP code, although you may not have to actually program it.

If they ever release V2.3, that has a full templating system, which is much easier to customize, but no sign of it yet.

Thanks for the replies. My PROJECT_VERSION is 2.2-MS2. The $Id line is:
    $Id: application_top.php,v 1.280 2003/07/12 09:38:07 hpdl Exp $

I don't have a clue what that means.

Regarding the install, I don't know what the problem was. Every time I tried, it just hung up. After about the fifth or sixth time, I sent a note to WestHost for help and one of their techs got it done.

I went to the osCommerce forums but didn't find the specific help needed ... all the postings seemed to assume that the viewers knew their way around php and I don't. Guess I'm gonna have to go get a "php for the complete moron" book and start reading!

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by skip
    Thanks for the replies. My PROJECT_VERSION is 2.2-MS2. The $Id line is:
    $Id: application_top.php,v 1.280 2003/07/12 09:38:07 hpdl Exp $

I don't have a clue what that means.
    I was just wondering if you have a standard installation and not one of the beta versions. You do have a standard install...

Which doesn't help with your other problems. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign
    I saw that on the osCommerce site on thier main Documentation page. It may be possible you are looking at things that are going to be available in the next release. They do have a fourms: http://forums.oscommerce.com/ That may help you figure out some of the things. I wish I could give you more but I am not a regular osCommerce user. Hopefully a regular user of it will stop in and give you some pointers but in the past thier visits have been rare so wanted to try and give you some input on the matter.
    I have used osc for a very long time, even since it was called tep!

I also was a core developer for a while.

Many many people use the latest CVS tree in production, dangerous with
    most programs, osc changes so slowly it is not that bad.

But if you step back and looks at MS2, it is not that bad...

I am trying to get teh WH install to work, I get an install error saying it can't create the mysql db... odd

tom

Tom,
    Since it is the WH install that is failing I would contact them and see what they can do. I assume you do have MYSQL installed already. I doubt the OS install would let you even start without that. Could be the version you have installed but again the
    OS install should not even start if there is a limitation on MYSQL version.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Yes it was a simple thing, mysql password needed to be reset.

thanks