Hybrid View

Default I need a good anti-virus software to replace Norton.

Hey guys... I need a good anti-virus software to replace Norton.
    Norton has been great at protecting my computer - but at the expense of continual clashing with other software and hardware drivers.

I paid a lot of money to buy the top of the line Creative sound card that has everything we need including sound-around music which I love.
    But Norton evidently does not seem to like Creative and wacked the EAX sound-around feature so that it no longer works.

Now I find that after a norton update, my top of the line DVD/CD burner no longer works either.

So I need a good but FRIENDLY anti-virus software.
    (I have a hardware firewall so I don't need a software firewall included with the anti-virus.)

Are anti-virus programs really necessary if you don't download software or open email from suspicious senders? My Norton just expired and I'm debating renewing it. Also my Norton Fire Wall is soon to expire and I'm wondering what it has that the Windows Fire Wall doesn't and why pay for it if I don't have to? It really bugs me Norton anti-virus scans every single file on my hard disk once a week. Nothing is ever found. Realize a virus could potentially corrupt any one of them, but unless there is some way to get infected I'm not aware of - needless wear and tear.

SJP

Grwd, SJP,

I finally dumped Norton after some of the same problems as grwd reports. I went to Avast! because it integrates very well. There is a free version for non-commercial use. Updates are smooth, and you can choose what it scans and how often. I especially like the email scanner.

SJP, as to whether or not we really need an AV program or firewall, I went for years without. I never got a virus, but felt vulnerable, when I learned how malicious code can be embedded in the ID3-v2 tags that are on some mp3 music files. Some kind of firewall is needed for broadband, and many recommend Zone Alarm. I also recommend some sort of spyware protection, such as AdAware or SpyBot, since I was troubled by spyware, even if my computer remained virus-free. I use ie-SpyAd to automatically put suspicious sites in my Restricted Zone.

Norton tends to take a "brute force" approach, and, if you have their Internet Security Suite, will even break the javascript on a page. Plus, Norton 2005 slows down my tired old machine so much as to be unusable (Norton stopped supporting subscription-based virus def. files for Norton 5, which ran smoothly on my machine, as of the end of last year).

Prior to Norton, I used McAfee, although I switched to Norton on someone's advice, because it was said to be more in tune with a Windows OS.

All the above was put in place before I switched from IE to Opera, which I love. Opera 8.02 incorporates all the best features of the latest IE, Netscape, and Firefox, plus, it runs much faster on my old machine than any of those. I had used Netscape prior to IE, but wanted to try going all Microsoft, to see if the integration made any sense. I use the Windows Updates judiciously, and have dreams of someday going Linux or switching to a Mac.

My 2-cents worth has turned into a long post, but I had this urge to vent.

Howard

Norton works well for me although I admit to doing a lot of tweaking of various settings.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." -Henry David Thoreau

Default E-Trust Antivirus 7.1

I personally use E-Turst Antivirus 7.1 by Computer Associates (Not EZ-Antivirus but the Commercial version).

7.1 is reasonably priced and produces no overhead. Better yet, no subscription BS for updates. I think they have a trial version on their site you can get all though you'll have to take Norton AV off your system when you install, as with any other AV package.

Good luck on your choice.

so far PC Cillin is doing good for me.. have you tried the Panda?
    ♣♣GET WICKED NOW!♣♣
    prof'l designs web development

Default Ant-Virus Addition

I have added Threatfire to my base anti-virus protection. Easily adjusted protection levels. Free or paid editions are available at http://www.threatfire.com/?version=3.0.14.16&
    etters

I have heard good things about Avast but I use AVG.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Yes, Avast is a good antivirus. Worth mentioning too are Avira and Eset Nod32. Both have been easy to use, reliable, fast, and not a resource hog.

With budget - Kapsersky, Without Budge - AVG. For Scanning/removing malwares, use MBAB. This fella saved us a couple of times with our VPN server.
    CCENT