Default MySQL Fresh Install - How To?

Many thanks to those who have posted in these forums. I have learned much by reading. Special thanks to the following: Shawn, jalal, torrin, SJP, and Fayez. This is my first post.

First question...

On my VPS account, I have several websites located in subdirectories under /var/www/html/

I have the following installed site applications:
    Mod Php 4.3.10 (I upgraded to this, as was recommended)
    Perl 5.6.0 (I love Perl)
    Python 1.5.2 (It was there by default, I did not install it.)
    WebPassword 1.5 (This is working fine)
    Webalizer 2.0.1 (This is working fine)

I have not set up nor used a database before. Here is what I want to do:

Install and set up two different php/sql apps on two different existing sites in my vps account, which are located in different subdirectories under my /var/www/html/

In order to do that, I will need to install either MySQL 3.23.56 or MySQL 4.1.9, plus phpMyAdmin 2.6.0. Do I also need to install PerlMySQL 1.1 for apps such as phpBB or WordPress? Is PerlMySQL 1.1 the "Perl MySQL Libraries" the WH Manual talks about? Which version of MySQL should I install if I have not installed a database before?

My Site Manager has the following database site applications available:

MySQL 3.23.56
    MySQL4 4.1.9
    PerlMySQL 1.1
    phpMyAdmin 2.6.0

On to the next question...

Assuming I install MySQL (disabling the ftp, and setting up the root password) and phpMyAdmin (and possibly PerlMySQL 1.1), in order to separate the databases from each other, I will use phpMyAdmin to set up two new databases. I presume I will be setting up two new database user-passwords as well. Therefore, my config.php files for the php apps will need to show the appropriate db, user, and password, but the host can remain localhost, since the MySQL is in my root VPS account.

How am I doing so far? Find any glaring errors in the above?

Ok, then, on to the final question...

I plan to install the phpBB and WordPress like this:
    /var/www/html/site1/phpBB/(all the phpbb files and directories)
    /var/www/html/site2/wordpress/(all the wordpress files and directories)

Is this a possible correct installation? Can anyone suggest a better one?

Howard

It sounds to me like you have it going on! Most of your assumptions seem to be right to me.

If you are only using phpBB and Wordpress to connect to the dateabases then you should not need PerlMySQL. If it is a new setup then you should be ok with MySQL 4.1.9 the newest version WH offers. There was some problems with folks who where upgradeing and the haveing to change how passwords where stored but don't belive that applies on a new setup.

Yep you can create a user password combination for use with each database if you would like. Have you seen the post on how to do that in phpMyAdmin? You wouldn't have to do this and you could use the root user that is set up when you install MySQL but I like to have a different user for scripts I install that only have access to the database they use. It is possible to create one database with one user for it and then use that database for both phpBB and Wordpress. They both use different extensions on thier tables so you don't get conflicts on table names. I keep mine seperate ... it is easier when I want to do manual changes on them via phpMyAdmin.

Your paths are fine on both installs. In this instance location is up to you and what makes best sense to you for organization. I tend to change the name of directories to something that suites my suites my needs. The phpBB in my sig is located in a directory called board many put it in one called forum. If you where going to use Wordpress to talk about dogs you could put it in a directory called dogs. Gee did I just confuse the how matter for you? Bottom line it is up to you and does not affect the program at all both allow you flexibility on this.

Last answer is yes it well always be localhost no matter what user password you are using if you are on the same VPS.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thanks Shawn, I think I learned all that from you!

Have you seen the post on how to do that in phpMyAdmin?
    No, I have not run across that.

Do you have a link you can post?

Howard

Hello Howard,

I found the thread but thought it would be worth reposting here since it was related to a specific script.

Step 1 create a database:
    On the first page when you log in on the right there is a field for Create new database. Simply enter the name you would like to use and hit the Create button. All done that is all it takes! The resulting page gives you options to go further but most script installs take care of adding tables for you.

Step 2 create a new user :
    On the resulting page at the top you'll see a link called localhost. Click on it and it takes you back to the page you saw when you first logged in. Now look for the link called Privleges and click on it. On the resulting page you'll see an Add a new user link below the list of current users go ahead and click it. You have four fields you want to enter info or change here.

User name: username(leave drop down as is)
    Host: change the drop down to Local it'll add localhost in the field.
    Password: secretpassword (leave drop down as is)
    Re-type: secretpassword

You of course use what you want for secretpassword and username. Leave the check boxes empty under Global priviledges and then hit the Go button.

Step 3 Giveing new user access to the database:
    On the next page you are going to see the the Global priviledges box again. Leave it as is. Look below that and see Database specific priviledges. From the drop down menu select the name of the database you created. Once you select it the page well automaticlly refresh. Now you see the same box for editing privileges but now at the top it should say Database-specific priviledges. Go ahead and select all the boxes and hit the Go button. The page well refresh and you'll see the same thing but now all the boxes are checked. That is all you need to do in phpMyAdmin so you can logout or shut down the window!

You now have a database for your script and a user who can only access that database.

I really should create tutorial with images for this on my site it might be easier to follow. Let me know if you have questions.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thanks again Shawn.

Looks like that about covers it.

Howard