Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using Thunderbird with WestHost

Thunderbird is a great new mail program that is totally free. It offers amazing spam filtering that uses a learning system. It also has many other very useful features. You can download it at :

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun.../download.html

Here are the instructions for using it with WestHost:

1. Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird

2. Open Mozilla Thunderbird.

3. From the Tools menu, choose Account Settings.

4. Select Add Account.

5. Click on the Next button.

6. Enter your name

7. In the E-mail address field, enter your full WestHost email address ( ex: joedoe@joedoe.com)

8. Select POP as the type of incoming server.

9. In the Incoming Server field, enter your WestHost domain.

10. In the Incoming User Name field, enter the first part of your email. (ex: joedoe)

11. In the Account Name field, enter whatever name you want to refer to this account as. (ex: Joe's Email Account)

12. Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP)

13. In the Server Name field, put in your domain name. (ex: joedoe.com)

14. Click on "Use name and password"

15. In the User Name field, put in the first part of your email. (ex: joedoe)[/img]
    Michael L. Mellor
    WestHost Support Department
    Phone: 1-800-222-2165
    FAX: 435-755-3449
    http://members.westhost.com

Default Thunderbird trouble

I need my westhost email access at two locations- home and office. At the office I have Outlook. I want to use Thunderbird at home so I followed the directions exactly. I am able to receive mail but when I send mail I get a message "Sending failed.The messge could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server signaturedoctors.com failed..."
    The strange thing is that I set Thunderbird up at the office for another employee and she can receive and send mail. Checked the settings- all are exactly the same. Only difference is that I access my mail at the office with Outlook and she only has the one email client. As an aside, webmail access works from any location (but it is so slow I don't like using it at home as my primary method of access.)

Any clues?

hirschr,
    Send in a support ticket. I am not sure how to word this or the file locations but there is a file that holds the IP address when you connect. I am not sure how they get added for sure to the file but as a rule is is something that happens without any intervention. I may be off on this but it can't hurt to mention it to them. You can also point them to this post in the forum so they know what Michael posted in case they have not seen it. Not all the WH tech people hang out here.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default SBC dsl solution to blocked outgoing SMTP mail

With the help of support, I got the solution. SBC blocks outgoing SMTP at port 25. If you change outgoing server to smtp.sbcglobal.net then it works.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Been using Neomail and it's reached it's quota. Deleted what I don't need but still have too much. How can I download the folders along with the emails to Thunderbird?
    Rock Brothers Multi Media Advertising, Productions and Resources
    Sports Cards Rock Sports Cards, Memorabilia and Autographs
    All American Bikini Team Network of Promotional Bikini Model Teams

couple of questions. first, i cant get thunderbird to work. i follwed the directions here it dosnt receive mail.
    second. when i send mail, it goes to a default server, i dont want this. can each emaill send from its own smtp?

thanks
    Lisa

Lisa,
    I just did a download and install of Thunderbird and on first run had it import settings from Outlook. That did not work so I explored some.

Have a look under Tools > Account Settings. Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP). I only had one server listed although in Outlook I have many sever connections. Also the import did not bring in the User Name and I had to click on Edit to add it in. You will notice at the top of this window it mentions mutiple SMTP servers and suggest that they only be used by advanced users. You may have to do some reading up on Thunderbird to add in your other servers. So far I have not tried it.

The other thing I had to modify where the Sever Settings. The import added the User Name here as username@domain.tld It should have been just the username.

After I made the above changes I was able to recieve mail.
    Shawn

I just figured out something else. The first account I set up was for a domain that uses a static IP. I then set up an account for a domain that has a shared IP. Just like with other email clients when you have a domain with a shared IP you must enter the username as username@domain.tld and not just the username.

If this is the case with you then click on Server Settings under the Account you set up and modify the User Name entry.

Now about the Outgoing Server (SMTP). I set up my second domain as an Outgoing Server (SMTP) before I set up the Account and thus had the option to set the Outgoing Server (SMPT) for the account.

Hope I explained things well enough. It is possible to do what you want but do be aware that I only played with this for about 30 mins and there may be a bit more to it then what I have found so far.
    Shawn

In Thunderbird, I have primary and secondary domains that originally I had set to use contactus@firstdomain.com and contactus@seconddomain.com. I had to keep on re-entering a password to send/receive email + other occasional errors. So I no longer use the same "name@" different domains, but give unique names to each, which works fine.

If anyone knows a decent workaround so the same "name@" would work without issues, would love to hear it.

Lulu,

By default, the server treats myuser@domain1.com and myuser@domain2.com as the same user. The most probably reason you kept getting prompted for your password is that there was a pop-lock in place for your account while you were logged into it with one domain that was keeping you from logging into the other.

So, you should really only need to log into either myuser@domain1.com or myuser@domain2.com, but not both at the same time. The only real reason to log into both would be to send mail out from a different domain.

That being said. You can set it up to be able to log into the same user at multiple domains if you switch over to use IMAP instead of POP3. IMAP does not use anything similar to a pop-lock like what you experience while using a POP3 server. You can switch to IMAP by installing the IMAP Server 1.0 application from your Site Manager.
    Sincerely,

Mark Cox
    Data Center Administrator
    WestHost

When you expect more from your Web host
    http://www.westhost.com/