Default How to speed up Miva Merchant

If you have noticed that your Miva Merchant store has been going a little slower than normal, here are some steps that you can perform to speed it up:

1- Under Stores > Store Name > Utilities
    a. Delete Shopping Baskets (All and do not recover order numbers)
    b. Pack data files
    2- Under Stores > Store Name > Order Processing
    a. Batch all unbatched orders using "Create Batch"
    b. Process all batched orders
    c. Delete all orders.
    Michael L. Mellor
    WestHost Support Department
    Phone: 1-800-222-2165
    FAX: 435-755-3449
    http://members.westhost.com

Another good way to speed things up is to disable secure browsing of the catalog area (merchant.mvc). This seems to be enabled by default on WestHost's servers, and although their shared secure servers are freakishly fast, it's generally good practice to use it only when necessary.

To do this, download and open the 'miva.conf' file from your '/etc/httpd/conf' directory. You should see the following two lines:

Code:
    SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mvc HTTPS=on
    SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mv HTTPS=on
    Comment them out, so that they look like the following:
    Code:
    #SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mvc HTTPS=on
    #SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mv HTTPS=on
    Save your work, upload the file back to the '/etc/httpd/conf' directory; overwriting the original. Check that the permissions on the file are the same (644) and restart your VPS/Apache.

Miva Merchant will now only use the secure server for loading the pages that necessitate secure transmissions, such as the order and account login pages.

Hmm, I've never seen a WestHost account, so maybe I'm completely off base here, but I don't think you want to diable the Secure Server for the Merchant system if you are taking credit card and customer information. Better, and simplier, is just to make sure your domain settings are correct. (In the Merchant admin, click on Domain Settings, then on the right, click on Settings.) Only the "Secure" paths need to be proceeded with the https://.

As for speeding up the site, while the original post is good advice anyway, batch and order data don't really slow down the site. Packing and removing expired baskets IS important and should be done weekly. Also, if you are not using the logging features (> Stores >Your Store >Logging) they should be turned off.

If you really need more speed you can look at a module that we provide called Merchant Optimizer http://www.phosphormedia.com/ps/merc...y_Code=MOD-RTL[/url]
    Bruce Golub
    PHOSPHOR Media
    www.phosphormedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Golub
    Hmm, I've never seen a WestHost account, so maybe I'm completely off base here, but I don't think you want to diable the Secure Server for the Merchant system if you are taking credit card and customer information. Better, and simplier, is just to make sure your domain settings are correct. (In the Merchant admin, click on Domain Settings, then on the right, click on Settings.) Only the "Secure" paths need to be proceeded with the https://.
    I think you may have missed this line:

Miva Merchant will now only use the secure server for loading the pages that necessitate secure transmissions, such as the order and account login pages.
    Without making the modifications I posted about, Miva will set the base URL to your secure address on every page. Amongst other things, this makes it load all of your images through the secure server.

In this case, Merchant's domain settings wouldn't be the problem, since the server is initiating the secure connection for every request with merchant.mvc/merchant.mv in it.

Ok, now you confused me. The standard behavour of Merchant is to only use secure paths for screens such as Customer Information, payment, invoice etc. This is usually defined solely through the Merchant Admin's domain settings.
    Bruce Golub
    PHOSPHOR Media
    www.phosphormedia.com

Ok, now you confused me.
    I corrected my post. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that, but you had already responded by the time I realized my mistake. Too early I guess. :P

Anyhow, changing the file as I specified earlier in the thread will not prevent Merchant from initiating a secure connection on the pages it requires them on. This only prevents the server from forcing a secure connection on every request for a merchant page.

I've done this on my live store, and it works exactly as it should -- only the account and checkout pages are being loaded securely.

yea, list latency is a *****...
    Bruce Golub
    PHOSPHOR Media
    www.phosphormedia.com

yea, list latency is a *****...
    It was more like brain lag. ;)

Does what I said make sense to you now, though?

Default Disabling Secure Browsing

THANKS! That is the hottest tip! I use a Miva based email broadcast program named Subscribe2 from MVCool. Since moving to Westhost, it has been very slow and would not even work behind the WH shared secure server. I had to get my own cert and even then it was very slow. This is the exact fix I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rispku
    Another good way to speed things up is to disable secure browsing of the catalog area (merchant.mvc). This seems to be enabled by default on WestHost's servers, and although their shared secure servers are freakishly fast, it's generally good practice to use it only when necessary.

To do this, download and open the 'miva.conf' file from your '/etc/httpd/conf' directory. You should see the following two lines:

Code:
    SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mvc HTTPS=on
    SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mv HTTPS=on
    Comment them out, so that they look like the following:
    Code:
    #SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mvc HTTPS=on
    #SetEnvIf Request_URI merchant\.mv HTTPS=on
    Save your work, upload the file back to the '/etc/httpd/conf' directory; overwriting the original. Check that the permissions on the file are the same (644) and restart your VPS/Apache.

This turned out to be a fantastic tip for me. I was noticing the lag on load for the Miva pages, but another side effect I was getting is that the images from the secure server were tripping the Internet Explorer V 6.0 "Privacy Report" warning on visitors browsers! This fix got rid of the lag (checkout and payments are still secure) and the privacy alerts are gone as well! Two "bugs" with one SWAT! Stop by for a beer - I owe ya one!
    Deja Dave
    www.dejayougifts.com