Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SSL Certificate Shopping

I need to get an SSL certificate for the company I work for and I've been looking at SSL certificate prices. Verisign and Thawte (which is owned by Verisign now?!) seem expensive relative to Comodo. Any reason why I shouldn't go with Comodo? Any other suggestions?

(This is for a commercial site, so the "warning" dialog box popping up is unacceptable)

Hello Tom,

A big part of this is just preference and the revenue that you plan on bringing in with your site. As you've noticed there is a pretty big price jump between a Comodo SSL Certificate and a Verisign one. Studies are showing more and more that Internet users are becoming more "net" smart. If they see the lock on the bottom of their browsers they are not just simply trusting the site but they are clicking on the lock button to see where the SSL Certificate comes from.

The bigger the name that you chose the more people are going to recognize it as a name that they can trust. Like anything else though, you do pay for that step up in recognition. I believe that the ROI that you will see from picking a "name brand" Certificate justifies itself, but that is just my personal belief. Let me know if you have any other questions on this or you can PM me your phone number and we can discus it over the phone.
    Michael L. Mellor
    WestHost Support Department
    Phone: 1-800-222-2165
    FAX: 435-755-3449
    http://members.westhost.com

If name recognition is not important, you may also want to look at freessl.com (which isn't free, but it is cheap).
    I'm not sure yet what it is that decides the price of a certificate, still doing research on it.

I found this site helpful:
    http://www.whichssl.com/index.html

However, it is owned by Comodo, so it is obviously biased. Also, I've found the prices to be outdated.

I am also in the market for an SSL. My current web store uses Westhost's shared certificate, which has been working fine. The only problem is that some customers are balking at the "weird" URL that is required (it looks like they are taken off my site).

Does anyone know a good comparison site, that isn't owned by one of the SSL companies?

Name recognition aside, are there any other concerns? Comodo does offer differnt levels of products, for different levels of business you do (more insurance if you do more online business). Anything similar one should look for?

As a follow-up, I went with FreeSSL (http://www.freessl.com), which is low-end product by GeoTrust. The FreeSSL was a good resource for information on comparing SSL products.

Default SSL Shopping

I have some found some other places that sell SSL Certificates for a decent price. Feel free to check it out.

Go Daddy Software (www.godaddy.com)
    -Turbo & High-Assurance SSL's

RapidSSL (www.rapidssl.com)
    -various types of SSL Cert.'s

EV1SERVERS.net (www.ev1servers.net)
    (this company usually has SSL Cert.'s on sale or for a deep discounted price)
    -StarterSSL Cert.
    -GeoTrust SSL Cert.'s

Hope this helps!!
    -----------------
    Ben B.
    On-line Manager
    LCFC Corporation

Thumbs down

Caution on Godaddy Turbo SSL.

I bought 3 Years Turbo SSL at $59.85 on July 2005.
    (When you purchased the certificate you will get a Credit.)
    I planned to use it a few months later, not knowing that it will expire within 3 months.
    Then on October I went back to their SSL menu to find that the credit has gone to Zero.

When I mailed to support team, I was told to contact Billing. After 4 or 5 email, the answer is,

Hi, After a while the SSl's if not used will expire,. I can go ahead and purchase it again and then give you credit for the old one. Please let me know if this is what you would like me to do and dalso what cedit card # you want the new purchase on ?

I still wonder up 'til now, how 3 YEAR Certificate could expire within 3 months?
    • No expiration notice.
    • No documentation/FAQ topics say about this expiration, even now, December 2005.

Why I have to purchase the item that I'd already purchased to get it back?

So I bought a new 3-year high assurance SSL from Comodo group. The support is better.

I has been their customer almost 5 years with more than 10 domain registration.
    Would someone should suggest some better registrars when I leave Godaddy?

Thanks.

I was looking at DigiCert, anyone have an experience with them? About to go for it anyday now.

Quote Originally Posted by winterhawk
    I was looking at DigiCert, anyone have an experience with them? About to go for it anyday now.
    Is there any particular reason why you're looking to them for a certificate? I've never used them, but they appear to be offering chained certificates (Entrust is the root authority).
    If what you're looking for is an inexpensive certificate, you might want to look at Geotrust's QuickSSL product. As mentioned previously in this thread, EV1Servers sells them through their website at a substantial discount, $49.99. They're single root certs, and are fairly painless to setup and install.

(No, I do not work for GeoTrust or EV1. I do use their certs and have bought them through EV1, though.)