Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need help installing Postnuke

Hello I am trying to setup a postnuke cms. Isetup a MySQL database with phpMyAdmin When I attempt to install postnuke on my I get this error message :

Error connecting to db
    Program: /in/www/html/dir/install/db.php - Line N.: 45
    Database: my_db_new
    Error (1045) : Access denied for user: 'myweb@localhost' (Using password: YES)

I used my site host password that I used for access to all of my web server data. Then I used my MySQL database password. What am I doing wrong. What permissions still have to be set to enable me to install postnuke?

Thank you.

You can try to use root as the user instead of the your site username.

You can also go in and create a new user if you would like for the postnuke that can only access the postnuke database. Try the first thing and if that does not work then let me know and I can try and lead you through the user creation. So here is what you want to enter:

Database: The name of the database you created.
    Host: localhost
    Username: root
    Password: Main site host password

P.S. You can view the permissions for each database through phpMyAdmin and see what users do have rights to the database you created. When you first log in look for either the Permissions or Database link in the main screen on the right. Both get you to the info as some point.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thanks for your tips wildjokerdesign. Well, phpMyAdmin shows that I have full permissions to my database. I'm still getting the same error when I try to install postnuke. The chmod checks cleared. I'm at a loss here. Do I need to install anything else to get postnuke to install right?

I've had no trouble installing PostNuke so it can be done. But as I had no problem, I can't really help you.
    Make sure that you FLUSH PROVILEGES after making changes to any permissions in order for them to take effect.

I have never installed PostNuke unlike Jalal but I imagin you have a choice of databe types that you can choice. Could it be you have told it the wrong type. You would want to use mysql.

The other thing to look at is what is at:
    /in/www/html/dir/install/db.php - Line number 45
    since that is where the script is failing and see what happens at that point.

Last I looked at the requirements on postnuke I don't think there is anything else you should need to install.
    Shawn

Thanks folks. I'm new to installing advanced database systems for websites. I love to learn. It's just that my client needs a cms for their site and I want to be able to allow my client to manage their own web content so I can focus on the business of keeping the site up and running. This concept that cms systems like postnuke offer is amazing. I can't wait to get it up and running.

I am also glad to see that this forum is very helpful to me as I begin my next phase of managed website design.

I'll take another look at my setup and let you know what happens.

I was looking at the postnuke site and found a page that may help. You may have already seen it but thought I would pass it on.
    CANNOT CREATE DATABASE or ACCESS DENIED FOR USER during installation -help file

It mentions several things about usernames and passwords. The article was a bit confusing but I think maybe if you used thier scripts to set up the database that the password may be "God". Now there is a comment after that in like this: (asterisks) and I'm not real sure what that means. I think that when they mentioned the Username = "sitename_Admin" that they ment to replace sitename with your sitename. The script may create a database user that is your sitename with this added to it "_Admin" and gives it a password of God. You should be able to see if that is true through phpMyAdmin. There are other things to check that are mentioned in the article.
    Shawn

Thanks wildjokerdesign! I will add this to my list of things to do in getting my site going.

I've installed Postnuke multiple times on Westhost VDS. I installed it 3 times this week. I have multiple copies running right now.

1) Create a new database with PhpMyAdmin

2) Create a new user. (I personally have a different user for every program I run. You really shouldn't use root or even your hosting username and password in config files. If someone can get access to your config files they would have full access to your VPS.)

3) Set database specific permissions for your new user for the new database

4) Run your PostNuke install script (entering your new database name, database username, and database password) but don't check the "create database" box. You already created it. The script will populate your database with the Postnuke tables.

5) Delete your "install.php file and the /install/ directory.

If you need more help let me know. I'll watch this thread.

-=DKC=-
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks everyone! You have been so helpful! I have Postnuke up and running now. I used wildjokerdesign's last tip that linked me to a site that cleared everything up for me.