Default POP3Client.pm under 2.0

Hi. I have two accounts. Both use the same software. The only real difference is the web page. One is still 1.0 and the other is 2.0. Both use the POP3Client.pm module from CPAN. Under 1.0 it works, but under 2.0 it breaks. The WH people consider perl modules to be third party and thus won't investigate why under 1.0 it works whereas under 2.0 it breaks. Most all perl modules contain a self test feature and I clearly showed that my assertions were correct by showing the results of this self test feature under both account types. My 1.0 account has operated flawlessly for well over a year. I recently obtained a new account and since all new ones are 2.0 I made this discovery. Has anyone else had success with this module under 2.0 or has horror stories of other perl modules that got cast to the way side when the existing account was transitioned? Are all VPS created equal? Is WH VPS a standard distribution and thus I should expect any VPS to exhibit the problems I'm seeing or did they roll their own? I personaly think that WH attitude is a cop out since perl modules from CPAN are rigorously tested and imho cannot be considered simply third party but are in fact tools of the trade.

SJP

Have you taken a look at Jalal's page on CPAN and working with perl? http://codeworks.gnomedia.com/westhost/perl.php

It may help you in getting it to work. The only real diffrence between 2.0 accounts are if they are namebased or IP based. I do think that the WH VPS is a not just the standard distribution and that it may have some features unique to them. I have never been real clear on that or even what is "a standard distribution" if there really is such a thing.

You'll read about it on Jalal's page but the main problem with some modules are that you do not have true root access and some modules have to have the ability to modify things as root. There is a way around that and it is on his page. Some of the others well be better at helping you with specifics.

WH is pretty aware of all this and that many users would like some changes made to make it easier to work with the different modules. Hopefully in the changes they are working on this well happen.

Hope that at least gets you started in the right direction.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Hi WildJokerDesign. Yes I did look at Jalal's page and in fact did try to install the packages listed. It didn't go well. The installation was bombing. But, that may have been due to other faults (probably mine). I don't think the module needs root, because it operates just fine under 1.0 and I don't have root in that case either. And you don't have to install perl modules if you're ok explicitly referencing them in your code - use Mail::POP3Client;. I'm pretty sunk without this module. I figured I'd be a squeaky wheel and hopefully get the grease before I re-invent it by writing my own (last resort) or finding a different hosting company. I was surprised the module didn't work, because I didn't think the differences were that great either.

SJP

Strange, I just went to my server, started up CPAN, typed:
    cpan> install Mail::POP3Client

and the modules installed without a hitch. (in /usr/local/perl/lib/site_prel/5.6.0/Mail/ ).
    What problem do you get when you try to install them?

Sorry about that SJP just read your other post about trying to get Jalal's install to work and realized you had already been there.

Besides the 1.0 and 2.0 diffrence are there any other like IP based or name based? Since the name of the module is POP3CLIENT I assume it has to do with email and wonder if this is one of those things that needs has to be run in an account that is IP based. Just takeing stabs in the dark since this is really and area I am weak in.

Jalal,
    Was that on a server where you had done your customized CPAN install or the WH default? Just thinking if was on the custom one maybe that is why SJP is haveing problems since he was unable to get the custom CPAN working. Maybe if he goes back and wipes the CPAN install like you mentioned in the other post and stated new he could get it to work.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Jalal, no problem installing the module. But actually using it is where the problem arrises. Follow the directions in the README file that accompanies the module to generate the test feature and see if it reports success. On mine it fails miserably (25 out of 26 tests fail). On my 1.0 account only 1 test fails! Same module. No differences. Can't be much more convincing than that the server is to blame.

WildJokerDesign, the account does have a static IP. I went ahead and signed up for one as well. But, in either cases it shouldn't matter, because the module simply reads your e-mail box.

SJP

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign
    Jalal,
    Was that on a server where you had done your customized CPAN install or the WH default? Just thinking if was on the custom one maybe that is why SJP is haveing problems since he was unable to get the custom CPAN working. Maybe if he goes back and wipes the CPAN install like you mentioned in the other post and stated new he could get it to work.
    No, it was on a regular site installation. But it seems installing the module is not a problem, its the actual use of it that is the problem.