View Poll Results: What's your favorite browser?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • FireFox

27 58.70%
  • Opera

3 6.52%
  • Netscape Navigator

0 0%
  • Mozilla

2 4.35%
  • Safari

3 6.52%
  • Galleon

0 0%
  • Internet Explorer

8 17.39%
  • Lynx

0 0%
  • None of these, I wrote my own!

0 0%
  • Other

3 6.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browsers

Relax FZ. No, I'm not saying that IE is superior. And I am certaintly not saying Windows and all its incarnations are not crap! Windows is the worst platform to develop on. I use Linux for that. I hope you're right about most users never learning what I did although I recall visiting a web-site where they gave an indication that larger screen sizes were becoming more common. I used my web-site http://www.sanjuanpersonals.com to evaluate Mozilla. Agreed web-sites that make use of the DOM are few and far between. Opera is a derivative of IE. On the DOM level they are similiar. Perhaps I am at fault regarding the CSS positioning error. Even the browsers that attest to following the web standards don't display things exactly the same and you have to make slight changes to work around inconsistencies. It can be quite maddening. Whatever IE hacks you were referring to I don't use anyways. Perhaps you could elaborate. No, I don't love IE. But yes I do have a larger screen and don't care to have the browser window occupy the whole thing if there is something underneath I care to see. The browser breaking is unacceptable.

SJP

I am totally relaxed, SJP.

I've never tried Linux (happy with Windows so far).

The IE hacks I was referring to:
    http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html
    http://css.nu/pointers/bugs-ie.html#IE5
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=170511

I'm sorry but I am still a little unclear about what the problem is - I'm lost between the talk about mouse coordinates and screen sizes? Do you have a demo/page I can have a look at to see what it is you are having trouble with (couldn't see anything at first glimpse on your site)? I agree that larger screen sizes are becoming more common (as well as a higher default resolution), but I fail to see where that fits in here - if you could post the code you used that caused the problem, I want to check it out. I too have a large screen, and like you say, like to tile windows once in a while.

As for Opera being a derivative, I did not know that (yes, I don't know everything ) - are you saying that its rendering engine is the exact same that IE uses (i.e. is Microsoft developed)? I find that hard to believe! They may be similar but I think Opera (from a developer's viewpoint) is better.

As for your positioning errors, I can understand miniscule differences between browsers, it will always happen. I think the best way is to not try and achieve pixel precision... Use of relative values is best (%, em, etc.) And yes, it definitely is maddening at times.

In any case, I'd still love to check out any of the code that has been causing headaches for you... I'm pretty good at troubleshooting.
    Fayez Zaheer

Using my web-site shrink the window so that it only occupies a standard page width (i.e. 800 pixels instead of 1200 or so) and then move it away from the left side. Click on the utilities or category menu items at the top and volia the little boxes appear way to the right. The upper left hand corner should be where you positioned the mouse and clicked.

Opera is close, but since MS doesn't share their code I guess derivative is probably not the right word. How about mimick? It's subtle. And like I said it's on the DOM level. Also some of the non standard features like an onload event for IFRAMEs is supported.

I don't use any hacks.

SJP

The javascript code is located in the home.js file. IE and Opera use the event object and Mozilla, Netscape, and all the other gecko based browsers use the addEventListener method and pass an event object that contains the coordinates to a routine that is invoked everytime the mouse moves.

SJP

Okay, found the error in my code regarding the X/Y coordinate issue so this post is meant to exhonerate Mozilla of any wrong doing ops: I didn't really know what the right variable names were. There is so little documentation available, but I see Mozilla (web-site) has made inroads on this point by providing support and suggestions of where to look 8) So I'd change my vote from IE to Mozilla if I could. Thanks FZ

SJP

Glad you figured it out. See, Mozilla isn't that bad is it?!
    Fayez Zaheer

I hate the say this (because I love Firefox, Mozilla, etc.), but there are CSS bugs in the Mozilla rendering engine. Don't believe me? Check Bugzilla. Search for CSS. When I did, I got a list of 785.

Either way, I still think Mozilla, isn't all that bad. I'm sure if we could look at the Internet Explorer bug list, you'd find just as many.

While you're over at bugzilla, check out bug# 95849 for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by torrin
    you'd find just as many
    Probably 10x more Plus, if you looked at the severity of the bugs (in terms of what was affected), I think Mozilla would have many, many less bugs on the "critical" front (as a reference point, I'd call IE's broken box model critical).
    Fayez Zaheer

I'm surprised there aren't any Opera zealots posting. It has held it's own against free browsers and is rich with features. It is only 3.4 MB download for the non-java version.

Opera is cool, but I am more of a freeware kind of guy
    Fayez Zaheer