Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone on WestHost have Mojo Mail up and running?

My wife has been working with support to try and get a list on Mojo Mail to work and they haven't been able to yet. We have a list set up and we can send a test message from within the mojo mail control panel, but if we send it from outside back into the list or reply to a test message that had been sent from the Send Test Mail option, it never gets sent back out to the list.

Support found all the mails sitting in the mail inbox by going into Web Mail on the account, but they sure aren't going anywhere.

I've looked over the Mojo Mail site (which is now DaDa Mail) and checked out their forum, but nothing jumped out at me on there. I have tried setting up to send via SMTP and POP 3 over SMTP but that didn't do anything either.

I've been looking at the suggestion to install a 3rd party e-mail program, but that's more trouble than I want to go through while doing the 30 day evaluation of WestHost. Since our needs aren't that great, if we can get Mojo Mail working then that would be better than hacking in a 3rd party program.

So if anyone is actually using Mojo Mail on West Host, I'd sure like to hear how you got it to work.

Thanks

Mike

One of my clients is using Mojo Mail. I just installed it through the Site Manager and it seemed to work, so I can't really give you any advice on how to get it to work. It just did.

Check that the list email account is a real email account and not an alias maybe?

Otherwise I can only say that yes, on one installation it does work...

Thanks for the reply. Even if you don't know how it worked, at least there is hope it did work. Thanks

Mike

Default Mojo Discussion List

I have been able to get Mojo up and running just fine as a newsletter program that handles subscriptions and and sending out emails to everyone. However, setting it up to work as a discussion list where subscribers send a message to go out to everyone is considerably more complicated- both setup and management.
    In fact, the Dada Mail website says of the discussion list feature:

"has seen little work put into it and has some known issues" and "It is advised that you not use this extension in any important task."

And unfortunately this is the only piece of software that Westhost offers for discussion lists. I have always considered Mojo (Dada) to be a weak link in an otherwise full arsenal of useful web apps.

Especially considering that installing any type of 3rd party listserver software is generally more involved than your average web app.

Good luck!
    Christopher

I am finding this out myself, Christopher. I've gone over and over the DaDA/Mojo web site and their forum and I'm seeing that there doesn't seem to be a lot of positive comments about it. This is too bad because other than t he disk space that WestHost offers for the price, the list mail was the 2nd reason that I decided to try here. So far they have been quick to respond with questions and problems, but it doesn't appear we are going to get this too work. I've already started the search again for another hosting site that has at least 2 gigs of disk space and a decent list mail application. The hosting site I'm with now has a pretty good one (simple, but good) with the MyCP package they have. But they go down too much (my list mail is down with them right now and they have not any responded to my ticket from last night and I can't get anyone voice in support) and the cost for additional disk space is too high.

So I was real glad to find WestHost and up until the time we hit the brick wall with the list mail, it was looking real good. I created two more domains over here and was getting ready to move 2 more. So I'm sorry to see that Mojo isn't a very good solution to what we need. I'm glad there is a 30 day trial period though.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

Hello Mike,

We actually have a large number of clients that are using Mojo mail and are extremely happy with it. If you want to PM me your phone number I will give you a call and we can get this worked out over the phone.

There are a lot of clients that do use third party programs to manage their mailing lists. Mojo mail is a great program if you are going to be sending out email to a smaller number of people. Several of our clients have mailing lists with a couple thousand users and require a little bit more robust program to handle that.

Please keep us posted on your progress on this and I look forward to speaking with you.
    Michael L. Mellor
    WestHost Support Department
    Phone: 1-800-222-2165
    FAX: 435-755-3449
    http://members.westhost.com

Hi Michael, I did PM you right after you posted your message. You probably got busy or didn't mean you would call right away, but just in case you didn't get the PM, I thought I'd check. We'd really like to get Mojo Mail running.

Does there have to be an e-mail account or alias or command alias set up for the list name in Mojo Mail? We've tried so many ways that I'm losing track of all the changes we have tried. I even signed up and created a new domain specifically here on WestHost so there was no confussion with the pointing or haveing to use the IP address.

The steps I did was to add the applications, Mojo Mail, phpBB and MySQL (I can't remember if MySQL was needed for Mojo Mail or just phpBB). I then clicked on the link to Mojo and created a new list, giving it a list name and short name. The next thing it asked for was a list owner's address, but I think it really wants the e-mail address that people send into the list with.

I tried it with send with SMTP and without that checked. With Group Mail checked and not checked. In fact, I tried it several different ways with the options that are available in the "Send" area. It's always able to send a test message from within the setup area. But it is from outside, into the list that doesn't work. None of the test messages from outside even appear as if they made it to the list. There were no rejection messages either.

Because it doesn't look like it's getting into the list, it makes me wonder if there isn't suppose to be an e-mail account setup or an alias or something like that created in the main site manager area.

Mike

Default I give up

I have spent most of the morning go over the mojo scripts and their setup comments trying to find something wrong. I've tried doing the suggestions within the Config.pm and mojo.cgi scripts for when it doesn't work, but nothing changed. I added the -w and -wT after the #!/bin/perl line and verified the path to perl by doing the which perl command. I did find that the path for sendmail in the mojo.cgi script is set for /sbin/sendmail and a which sendmail gives a /bin/sendmail... but even changing that didn't help.

I set up a new list, left everything pretty much default except adding a list name and adding in a couple of names and that didn't work. I tried sending SMTP and POP3 before SMTP and just sendmail and none of those worked.

There may be lots of WestHost customers using mojo mail, but they must be a lot smarter than me or else a lot better at setting up their list mail. I'm no newbie to Unix either. I've worked in AIX Unix for a number of years. So I do have a clue at some of this stuff. Just evidently not a clue in the right places for mojo mail.

We needed to have a new list set up and working as soon as possible to replace one that was being taken down by the owner, but since we could never get this to work here, we just set it up over on our other hosting site using MyCP, which has always worked with the other lists already there that we had hoped to move over here.

Michael, if you can help us get this working, great. If not, I guess that's just the way it goes. We'll let it all sit for a few days and wait to see if we hear from anyone with any suggestions or ideas.

Mike

Hi Mike

I don't think it is anything to do with other people being smarter than you. My client (who uses Mojo) knows very little about computers. Like I say, it just worked for them, no genius needed.

I've kind of lost track of what your problem is, but I think it is that you can setup Mojo mail correctly and you can send a mail from within Mojo, but when you send a mail from 'outside' it just disappears, is that correct?

One help would be turn on logging for sendmail and check what the logs are saying when the emails are sent and recieved.
    And are you using procmail?
    Also, when you say that "I tried sending SMTP and POP3 before SMTP and just sendmail and none of those worked". What does it mean, that they didn't work? Did the emails bounce, not arrive, arrive in the inbox and not get delivered.

I realize it is getting frustrating, but I'm sure we'll work something out here.

Hi Jalal,

By not working, yes, I mean that when mail is sent from any of several e-mail addresses (and e-mail accounts) that we have tried that the mail does not get sent out to any of the other list e-mail addresses and does not show up in the achived mail either. By not showing up in the archive or message list, that tells me that the list is not processing them. We get no rejected messages or error messages back to the sending e-mail account.

On the send by SMTP and POP3... by default, the Mojo uses sendmail to send the mail out. But there is another option to send it by SMTP instead. Along with the SMTP method there is a option to turn on POP3 before SMTP, which is a way to athenicate the e-mail messages before they are sent out to the list members. I have configured it to do sendmail, SMTP without POP3 and SMTP with POP3 athenication.

One thing I have noticed in this last round of working with it, is that the CatchAll account does seem to be getting the mail. Which tells me that when mail comes in it isn't going to the list e-mail process but straight to the CatchAll thinking that there is not a valid user of that name.

I read about logging, but I'm not sure where it is or how you turn it on. I know the -w after the peal command in the config file is suppose to print warnings, but I didn't get any warnings when I tried that. I'll look again to try and find how to turn logging on.

Thanks

Mike