Default Customizing Miva

So I have a client that wants a store on their site and I have played with Miva about 5 years ago for form handeling, but I have been looking at their e-commerce/shopping cart package available through WestHost.

I am conserned that I will not be able to blend in the shopping cart to the extent that I will need to make the shopping experience transparent to the visitor.

Can you supply me with link to your site and let me see how well you were able to integrate the Miva package into your design?

Thanks in advance.

John

John,

Check out www.seriousoutdoorgear.com! I've created a site and just plug into Miva when purchasing an item. It works really well.

Thanks for the reply, but the only problem that I see right away is that your menus do not carry over. Keeping a consistent navigation across ALL pages is high on the priority list (or should be) for every site. Is there a way to carry the navigation over?

Thankls in advance,

John

What do you mean when you mention that the menus do not carry over?

What I meant to say is that your navigation buttons on the left hand side are no longer there. I am looking to integrate the shopping cart into the look of the site and do not want to lose the navigation buttons, and I do not want to go to a frames page to keep them. I am sure that you can do this, but I have not seen a site that runs Miva do it well.

Have a look at http://www.foodforeveryone.org/

This is a WestHost client. I worked with the owner of the site once on another issue and they have a webmaster that maintains thier shopping cart so not sure how they do it but thier merchant cart is fully intergrated into the look of thier site so I'm pretty sure it is possible. They do not use a standard for the left column since they serve different info in that area for each page with thier site but they do have control over it.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

These links are nice and the sites look great but can someone point me to a tutorial or something that explains how to do this? I need to get this done for a client asap.

I did a search on google and it seems like you best bet may be http://www.miva.com/docs/merchant/ wich is the miva site itself. Wish I could offer more but have not worked with the program. The Miva site also has a forum that may get you better answers. Not sure there are many WH clients that are on this forum that use Miva that much.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Ok I figured out how to customize thing to a degree but I have run into a couple of problems,

1.) I tried disabling the dafault navigation menu and creating my own. For now all I have is a colored bar to match my "store" navigation tab

see;

http://www.kidzpc.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=KP

but when I tried to make the navigation bar the same color it wouldn't work and if I tried disabling the default navigation bar the green color bar I have up there now would not go flush with the navigation tabs I created.

2.) I guess I need to have more than one "store" set up to cutomize each section. For instance I want one color theme for the page for one section of the store and another color theme for another section. I tried placing the code in the category header but it would never go above a certain section of the page. I needed to use the global header to do that but that limits me design wise. Is there a way to move everything in one category to a seperate "store"? I don't have to treat a seperate store as a seperate account do I?

Yes, the above site is still in development. That's why it appears somewhat unfinished.

For anyone who wants to have total layout with Miva go to http://vikingcoders.com They sell Miva modules that let you configure the whole look & feel of your Miva store. Headers, footers, product pages, navigation and other stuff.