Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Upgrade SpamAssassin using CPAN?

Hi,

I have checked out different posts here and Jalal's site, and I've seen rumors about just using CPAN to upgrade SpamAssassin, but has anyone actually done it this way? Most seem to do separate, parallel installs.

Is it possible to upgrade with CPAN? Is it easy? Are there any caveats given our VPS's (I am not a reseller)?

Thanks!

Hi j103c,

It's not a rumour The new version of SpamAssassin is a LOT better than the version you get with your Site Manager. Yes, you can use CPAN to install it, but as far as I know, you cannot actually upgrade your WestHost installation (not in the true sense anyway). The reason is that WestHost places some files in weird places, such as the SpamAssassin binary itself, in / instead of (insert default install location).

Initially, I did not use CPAN to install my new version, the reason being that via the "default" CPAN, you cannot upgrade various modules (because of the way WestHost set permissions on them, so you can't mess anything up). What that means is that you will first have to follow Jalal's method of setting up a much less restricted CPAN shell for yourself (which isn't very difficult, given the excellent guide - I did that and then was easily able to install the newest version of SpamAssassin), and then you will be able to install SpamAssassin. Now, by "true upgrade" what I meant was that you won't be able to replace/upgrade all files used by the WestHost install of SpamAssassin (weird locations being the reason). HOWEVER, you will still be able to keep your custom user_prefs, and your bayesian filters (if you were using them). So, in essense, you will have to do a "separate" install anyway, and have to modify some files manually (e.g. /etc/procmailrc) to reflect your changes.

Yes, it is really easy - and reversible since you can always go back to WestHost's version if you need to. I am not a reseller either, and I had no problems. As always, you can post any problems/questions you have on this forum, and a helpful soul will be at your command soon enough
    Fayez Zaheer

Hey thanks for yet another reply FZ.

So if I modify CPAN according to Jalal's tips, and then install a new SpamAssassin installation via that method, will SpamAssassin still recognize the current site-wide preferences location (local.cf) as well as any custom preferences in the users' home directories?

Or do I need to look at either moving the local.cf or changing a reference to it? Would /etc/procmailrc be the only other file I would need to change to reflect the new SpamAssassin installation?

Thanks!

No problem

Yes, the first step would be to modify your CPAN to make it less restrictive: to allow you to install updated modules (required for the new version of SpamAssassin to run correctly). After this, you will be able to install SpamAssassin via your new CPAN - but you will still need to follow a special step or two, specifically you need to specify a PREFIX (i.e. "installation directory"). I'm not exactly sure (cannot remember) what other things need to be specified for correct installation to take place, but I am sure Jalal has mentioned them in his CPAN and/or SpamAssasin post(s).

Custom preferences located in home directories will be recognized without you needing to do anything, however, the local.cf file may not be recognized. Depending on how you install (i.e. what you specify PREFIX=, etc.) your new local.cf might be located in a different directory. My recommendation to you would be to back up your current local.cf, and then once your new installation is complete, overwrite the new version of local.cf with your old one.

As for editing files, as far as I can recall, /etc/procmailrc would be the only file you need to edit - but this is only the case if you want to enable SpamAssassin for all e-mail accounts on your account. If you are currently using SpamAssassin site-wide, opening up this file will reveal a couple of lines dedicated to your WestHost installation of SpamAssassin. Once you get your own install in, you'd just update the location to point to the new binary, and also change the flags used (I'd be happy to provide them to you once you get to this stage).
    Fayez Zaheer

Thanks FZ - I'll do some more research and maybe give some of those initial steps a shot tonight. Realizing that CPAN didn't upgrade the WestHost installed SpamAssassin helped clarify what would actually happen..

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.
    Fayez Zaheer

Quote Originally Posted by j103c
    Hey thanks for yet another reply FZ.

So if I modify CPAN according to Jalal's tips, and then install a new SpamAssassin installation via that method, will SpamAssassin still recognize the current site-wide preferences location (local.cf) as well as any custom preferences in the users' home directories?

Or do I need to look at either moving the local.cf or changing a reference to it? Would /etc/procmailrc be the only other file I would need to change to reflect the new SpamAssassin installation?

Thanks!
    You don't need to change local.cf or user_prefs, the new spamassassin will recognize them.
    If you replace the /spamassassin with a soft link to the new spamassassin then you don't even need to change procmailrc. You can back out of your changes just by removing the link.

I rewrote a lot of the instructions on my site about a two weeks ago, so if you have't looked since then, maybe go on over and have another look for some updated instructions.

HTH

Okay - I have CPAN set up according to Jalal's site I believe. I also upgraded MakeMaker.

I got a little eager though, and went into CPAN and did "install Mail::SpamAssassin" without specifying an install directory, etc. Made it a large way through, now I'm stuck at a test:

spamd_hup.................ok 5/8

It just sits there. THEN I read about adding the extensions when making for the install directory and config directory. Woohoo.

So are there ways to clean up this half-installed CPAN installation of SpamAssassin? I think I will just install with the .tar file.

Hmm, I'm just guessing here (not a *nix expert), but you might be able to go into the SpamAssassin directory (i.e. the CPAN SpamAssassin directory, where it downloaded the SpamAssassin files (NOT the directory where they were half-installed)), and type (via an SSH session) make uninstall or make distclean and press enter. If both of these fail, you can try make clean - hopefully, it will remove all files it created (otherwise you will have to manually remove them).

If done properly, installing via CPAN is the easiest method, and it tests it all for you in the process. I would recommend you give the CPAN method one more go (making sure to follow instructions this time ), and if all else fails, then do a .tar.gz install...
    Fayez Zaheer

How do I duplicate this step in CPAN since the installation is somewhat automatic?

Code:
    perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/sa SYSCONFDIR=/saconf