Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Can I set up email accounts for multiple domains

I know I can host multiple domains from one hosting account, which I am doing, but can I set up email for 2 different domains as well?

I have the holiday special plan.

Unfortunately that is not possible. E-mail accounts are mirrored, in that if you set up "username1@primarydomain.com" then all mail sent to "username1@seconddomain.com" will be sent to the same mailbox automatically. I have figured out a way to separate them, though, so if you would like me to help you with that, let me know. By "separate" I mean you can send mail to the secondary domain to another mailbox instead of having to receive it at the first one, if you know what I mean...
    Fayez Zaheer

thanks for the info, that's too bad. I'll run the mail from somewhere else.

Thanks anyway.

Can I run bulletin boards on the different domains, or just the primary domain?

No problem. Just before you give up on the option though, you might want to keep in mind that you could set it up so people that send you the mail never realize that it is going to a mailbox on the primary domain (by changing your From: to match your secondary domain name e-mail address, etc.) so it really wouldn't be that bad at all - the only real difference would be that you would be connecting to a mailbox on the primary domain to receive mail supposedly sent to the secondary domain (i.e. the login name would be different, that's all).

As for bulletin boards, yes, your domains can point to totally different web sites. As for being able to install more than one instance of PHPBB (via the Site Manager at least), I don't think that is possible (manually, yes you can do that), but you should check and make sure...
    Fayez Zaheer

oh, gotcha, I think I can live with that email option, I'll try it out and let ya know. Thanks. I figured on the phpbb I would have to install it manually, I'm working on that now.

thanks for all the info.

FZ, I'm looking to do the same, but in the Reseller package.

So, are you saying that you can do something that will allow the following

username1@primary.com
    username1@secondary.com

And each of these be separate? so one doesn't mirror the other?

I think WestHost should allow you "helpers" to put a web cast together to help all of us other users out.

Thanks!

CK1

You can use the same e-mail alias name for different domains, but it is a bit complicated. This is how you do it:

(The files I talk about are in the /etc/mail directory)

1. Remove the alias in question from the 'aliases' file.
    2. Run the 'newaliases' command to compile the aliases file.
    3. Edit the 'virtualusertable' file, and add these lines:
    (I am using the alias name john)
    4. Run this command to compile virtualusertable
    makemap hash virtusertable < virtusertable
    With this setup, john@domain1.com would be forwarded to the mailbox mark and john@domain2.com would be forwarded to the mailbox sally.

*Disclaimer* make backups of everything. This is not something that WestHost supports, this is tinkering on my part.

adpwl1,

Yes, you can have the same address (but different domains) go to two different mailboxes, just like CK1 explains so well in his post above. Initially I was using Procmail to do that, but I figured out the hack above as well, and it is a much better solution (since Procmail might "miss" a mail or two, depending on how well you specify the conditions), plus the fact that the above method works out well in conjunction with custom Procmail recipes and Spamassassin settings (i.e. it works out much, much better than using Procmail when the mail account(s) in question have home directories specified - full functionality is restored in this case).
    Fayez Zaheer

Thanks all! I fully understand this a lot better.

In the most basic sense, its looks like a forward type of setup.

How does this effect webmail logins. Will they then login using the actual mailbox instead of virtual email address?

Loging using mary@xxx.com instead of userid1@xxx.com?