Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default reseller help needed

Hi need some help figuring out my reseller situation.

I am on the Reseller 2 package, which gives me 15 VPSs. I currently have the following setup:

IP Based Accounts: 6
    Name Based Accounts: 2

Now, the 6 IP based were from previous individual accounts under WH1.0, which have now been moved to 2.0 and into my reseller account. The 2 Name-based are accounts I just created--they're fresh domains that did not exist on WH previously.

Now, I assume that in all, I am using 8 VDSs (6+2), is that correct? This means I have 7 VDSs left, right? If this is not correct, please let me know.

Now comes the hard part: How do I, as a reseller, get into each VDS to create maybe 10 new domains on each VDS? Can I do this? Then can I resell 10% of each VDS to a new client? If I do that, will their web-based login show the other 9 accounts/domains on the VDS, or is it possible to just show their one domain?

Do you follow me on all the above? My goal is to be able to utilize each VDS to its maximum.

Thank you for your help and advice,
    paperweight :?

Hope we get an answer on this. I just answered on your other post about real audio. I just got a resellers account and am trying to figure things out. If I do I will for sure let you know!
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Yes, thanks joker. This post here is important and I've been talking with WH for a few months now and received different feedback at different times and still not sure of this on how to structure my accounts within each VDS. :<

I hope they respond soon.

cheers,
    pw

I'm thinking of opening a new Reseller account, so I would also be interested in knowing the answers to this.

Doesn't this page provide the answers?
    http://members.westhost.com/resellermanager.html

Keep us informed!

jalal, that page contains short marketing background to the services, but I can't seem to find the help info on how/where/if this is possible. It SHOULD be possible, but I can't find out where and I fear that instead of having it in the user-friendly web-based admin area, we might instead need to manually tweak settings within individual files on the server. :<

Anybody have any word on this?

Default What I found.

Ok here I checked my e-mail from WestHost and here is the link for the manual... http://manual.westhost.com/rm/ Why is it WH seems to make everything so hard to find...

From the Glossary on that page it says this
    Account
    An account provides the functionality of a dedicated server in a shared hosting environment. Each account owner can administrate his/her website using the Site Manager. An account is also referred to as a VDS (Virtual Dedicated server) or a site.

VDS
    A virtual dedicated server (VDS) provides the functionality of a dedicated server in a shared, virtual hosting environment. A VDS is also referred to as an account.
    Both those lead me to belive that you can not break down the VDS other then like in a regular account that you can add a domain to an account. Anyone else see it that way?
    Shawn

Well, if I have even one VDS and I'm not on a reseller account--just the cheapest lowest plan they have for individuals, I can STILL place like 100 different domains and sites (albeit very very small sites) on one VDS. All I need to do is create separate directories within the VDS for them and then place their DNS on the VDS and point to each respective directory. Right?

However, though this is possible with an individual account, how do you actually, within the reseller area, move domains around within and outside of VDSs? I mean, if Westhost already moved over 5 domains for me and already gave each domain its own VDS, how can I instead move one of those domains out of a VDS and into another VDS, for example if I want to consolidate? This info seems to be lacking and also the functionality within the reseller area is lacking. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    pw

Yes I agree with you. I have not yet figured it ou. Like you I had WestHost move some of my accounts over. When I first got the welcome e-mail I logged in and saw that the other domains had not been transfered yet. At that time there where 4 existing plans that I assumed where defaults listed as Plan 1 and so on. I was not able to edit those plans. When they did transfer my sites and when I looked at them they where associated with other plans that where not listed. I wonder if it is because they are pre-existing accounts and that they are moveing them manually to make sure nothing gets changed on them. That was one request that I did make of them. I know that my accounts are pretty old so they have many things about them that do not fit the current set up of things.

I did ask someone at WestHost to come to the resellers area of the forum and have a look at our post to see if we could get some feedback on these questions. That was earlier today. Hopefully they well and give us some insight. I am going to keep digging and see if I come up with anything.

My Reseller Account Manager does not seem to match everything that the demo video or manual has. How about you?

Also looking at my main account via FTP I see pretty much the same things and setup. Is this the same for you? I kind of expected to see some new directories or files pertianing to the reseller stuff.
    Shawn

Yup, my account doesn't gel 100% with the videos either, but this may be because they ahve tweaked something and not had time to update the help files/video.

I really need to add some more sites soon, so getting feedback from WH soon would be nice. :>

pw

Default Your First Question

I have been giving your first question some thought and this is how I think you could set things up. Each VDS as I see it is like one normal account that you would buy from WestHost. So if you had a "main" account on each VDS that was under your control then you could go in using that accounts Site Manager and add an e-mail/FTP user. This should give them thier own mini Site Manager and access via FTP only to thier directories. You would then use the main Site Manager to point the domain name to the directory that was created for that user.

The limitations I see with this is that one they would not have thier own cgi directory, (This was discussed elsewhere and not sure if a workaround was ever figured out) you could not have more then one johndoe@adotcom because all mail to a johndoe would go to the same mailbox and everyone on that VDS would be affected by any changes made to the VDS.

This is pretty basic thoughts on it but I think it is the starting point for what you want to do. Does that make sense to you?

Here is a post on domain pointing... as I find other post that seem to apply to this I will add them.
    http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1347
    It also talkes about the e-mial issue and Jalal suggest using promail to get around the johndoe@ thing.
    Shawn