Default Listserv / Mojo / Mailman ??

Is anyone out there running listservs on their account? Specifically, is anyone using Mailman?

I need to setup a couple of listservs and Mojo Mail isn't working very well. The Mojo mail developer has stated that he developed the program to function for newsletters and announcements. He added the mojo_send.pl script to give it some basic functionality, but has admitted that it has bugs and he isn't interested in developing it anymore.

When I ran it on my account as a distribution list it went into a loop that filled my email inbox with messages (if you are going to use it as a distribution list, be sure to test first!). WH helped me to come up for a solution for that (alias pointing to mojo_send.pl and short name of the list have to be the same, but the list owner cannot be the same...) Still, Mojo doesn't have basic functionalities like digest format or allowing the administrator to approve messages before they go out. The WH manual even states "Discussion support is minimal" in the Mojo FAQ.

So, I thought I would install Mailman, but have ran into some difficulties setting it up and am curious if anyone else has set it up on WH 2.0 or is using something else to get the job done? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Christopher

Christopher if you would like to post the url for mailman I will download it and see what I can do with it. That is if it is a free script.

Shawn
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default Mailman URL

Thanks Shawn,
    I appreciate you looking into this for me, we all know how busy everyone at WH is right now! Mailman can be downloaded from:
    http://www.list.org/download.html

I can also email you a text file of the install directions if you just want to look at those, they are of course also included in the download.

One of the problems I came across right away is that the installation asks you to set up a new user and a new group. However, my understanding with 2.0 is that you can only have 1 root user and the default group- I tried setting it up with those defaults and it didn't work- I don't know if it was that problem or something else I was doing wrong. Any ideas you might have are greatly appreciated!!

Christopher

Opps I just got lost. Looks like Mailman has to be installed via SSH to me and that is one area where I get lost. I many be mistaken. I could not open the download file since it was a gzip and on my PC have not figured out how to do that. Most likely there is a program that could do it for me. I am willing to look at the install directions if you want to e-mail them to me and see if anything catches my eye. I will PM you my e-mail addy.

Fayez and Torrin have more experience with using SSH so perhaps they will check your post and offer some ideas. I know I really need to learn about this SSH but just seem to keep running out of hours in the day.

Shawn
    Shawn

Default gunzip and tar

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign
    I could not open the download file since it was a gzip and on my PC have not figured out how to do that. Most likely there is a program that could do it for me.
    You need gunzip and tar to be able to open a file with the extention .tar.gz or .tgz.

Try http://www.gzip.org for gunzip. Sorry, command line.

Tar can be found here. Tar is going to be a little more difficult. I don't see any exectuables in that directory. I guess you have to download the source and compile it. That's not something most people want to do.

Oh, here we go, it looks like winzip supports .tar.gz formats. Unfortunately, you have to pay for the convenience.

Default Re: Mailman URL

Quote Originally Posted by MacToph
    One of the problems I came across right away is that the installation asks you to set up a new user and a new group. However, my understanding with 2.0 is that you can only have 1 root user and the default group- I tried setting it up with those defaults and it didn't work- I don't know if it was that problem or something else I was doing wrong. Any ideas you might have are greatly appreciated!!
    http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1153

The above URL is about something else, but it may help you in the creation of a new user. WARNING: proceed with caution.

Thanks for comeing to the resuce Torrin. I will check out both your suggetions for opening files. I had a pay for version of WinZip I just have to figure out what I did with the license. Killed my old computer and had to switch to a new one so trying to rebuild all the programs I had on the old one.

Shawn
    Shawn

Christopher,

Ok I was able to get the program unzipped on my computer and have been reading the install info. The easy part to check is to make sure that you have Python and GNU Utils installed through the Site Manager>Site Applications>Development. You may have already done this but wanted to double check.

Getting a new user was pretty easy "I think" by using Site Manager. Created it though E-mail/FTP Mangement and when I looked at my ect/passwd file it was there. I also read the post that Torrin refrenced although I did that part via the Site Manager. It did not create a group called mailman in the /ect/group file so may have to try the method in the other post.

That is as far as I have gotten with things at this point but wanted to pass on what I have figured out incase it jogs anyone else for ideas. Well look at it more tommarow.

Shawn
    Shawn

Default Thanks Everyone

Shawn & Torrin,
    Thanks again so much for looking into this...
    I do have Python and the GNU Utilities installed.

I didn't know if creating an additional user in Site Manger would be adequate or not- my understanding is that doing so gives that user email and ftp access, but no ssh access- and I didn't know if that is adequate or not for Mailman- I guess the only way to find out it is to try. I'll also try to go to the Mailman help docs and/or listservs to find out.

I have also contacted WH to see if they can help me by installing a group as I don't *think* that they give users the ability to do so...

I'll keep you updated with anything I find out.

Thanks,
    Christopher