Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP??? How to edit .htpasswrd files in new manager?

In the old plusmail system one could check an advanced or expert box and edit the "hidden" files. Under the "new and improved??" manager system no such thing is apparent.

Where is the editor I need? I really need this to work at a minimum. Since the upgrade my Paypal link has been broken and I'm losing $$$. Yes, I put in a ticket for all the good it has done me so far.

The "manual" is a joke - says you can edit files but does not tell how to edit the "hidden" ones.

HELP
    t1ps

I found the same thing - the new File Manager is totally useless. It doesn't even work for basic files... Not properly anyway. But that's not a major problem for me - there is always FTP and SSH.

Anyway, to answer your question I don't think there is an advanced mode for this FM. You'll have to do it one of the other ways described here: http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=603
    Fayez Zaheer

Login with SSH and use an editor? Such as pico or vi.

Also if you want to grab a free copy of WS_FTP wich is my preferred method you can find it on thier site http://www.ipswitch.com/

If you go that rout and have trouble with the program let me know and I will try and lead you through some of the stuff. You would also need a text editor on your computer to us this method because you would have to open the file up and edit it and then upload it.

SSH is faster but I have trouble finding my way around in it so maybe design64 or jalal can help you if you go that route.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default Text editor/permissions

Thanks for the info on the ftp program. After I download and edit the file, how to I tell if the permissions are set correctly on the file after I upload it?

Thanks,
    t1ps

With WS_FTP you right click on the file and then look for chmod [UNIX]. The only drawback here is that WS_FTP defalts to 644 when you do this so you have to know what permission you want to set it to.

I think you would want to have it set to allow you full access but groups and other only read access which would be 744. I used to check what the default was when I was not sure using the File Manager but can't do that now. Fayez or jalal do you know for cetain?
    Shawn

Also I have WS_FTP Pro not the free version so if I state something you do not have access to that may be the reason.. I do think that everything I have said is in the free version though.
    Shawn

Seems as if the default "CHMOD permissions" for .ht* files is 644 (-rw-r--r--). Like you said, this is probably the default for all files that you create.
    Fayez Zaheer

I've been trying to do this for 3 days now. It seems that the .htaccess files are all protected, and owned by root or something, becuase its not giving me change permissions... any ideas on why this could be so? Anyone also having this problem? Any suggested fixes?

ihdihd,

Which .htaccess files are you talking about (what is the specific error)? Ones that were migrated from your old account? It is possible that WestHost accidentally did that on those, but for .ht* files you create yourself, this should not be the case. Maybe you should try renaming them (or deleting) and creating new ones...
    Fayez Zaheer