Default What server am I on?

2003-09-12 18:39:25 - We are having some problems with servers 5, 7, 10, 11, 23 and 26. We should have this matter resolved shortly and are working as hard as possible to resolve the matter.
    The above quote is from the network status page. Two questions:

1) How can I tell which server I am on?
    2) How does servers 5,7,10...... etc relate to the server/IP number descriptions listed on the network status page?

Charlie

Hey there Charlie

Log in to your Site Manager and take note of the IP that comes up in the address bar (e.g. http://69.36.161.120...) - then just compare it with those on that page and you should be able to deduce what server you are on. Or, just look at the last 3 digits - e.g. 69.36.161.120 means you are on server 20, 69.36.161.107 means you are on server 7, etc.
    Fayez Zaheer

Hmmmm....
    My third set of numbers is 173, but all of the servers listed are 161 (69.36.161.XXX).
    So, which one am I on?
    :?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    -Plato.

Amadillo,

You are looking at the third "set" of numbers - the last "set" is what you need to look at. And I believe you are looking at the IP address of your domain, which is not correct either - I'm sorry for being unclear. When you go to yourdomain.com/manager/ it forwards you to another IP (not yours) - the IP of that page is the IP of your server. The fourth "set" of numbers of that IP tells you what server you are on.

If your domain is www.dilloscape.com, I already checked and it is on server 20 (x.x.x.120)...
    Fayez Zaheer

Fayez,
    Yes it is very confusing. I have been watching one of my accounts go up and down and kept forgeting to look where it is going when it is up. Ofcourse when it is down you I could not access manager so I thought "Ok I will ping it" No still do not get the server reading, that I can tell. So my question is if the site is down is there a way to tell the server it is on?

I found mine but that was because when it came up I quickly checked manager to grap it.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default which server

Fayez:

Thanks for the info. With your second post here I was able to figure it out. I'm on server 9 with one of the sites. Need to look up the other 2.0 ones.

Would it safe to assume that once you know your server number that your would stay on that server? I can't imagine them shifting us around all the time.

Thanks again!

Charlie

Thanks for the clarification Fayez.
    I didn't even notice that my domains IP and the managers IP were different. That's what threw me off.
    8)
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    -Plato.

I believe that is the key reason the Site Manager is so terribly slow - because everyone's SM (those on the same server as each other) is handled by the one server/central location! But, I can understand why WestHost had to do that... So that they could easily make changes to the SM in one place and have it affect everyone (on that server). Bleh. At least it isn't anywhere near as slow as it used to be.

Charlie, sorry for my first post being unclear. I am pretty sure they will not be moving us around. It should be just like it was pre-2.0 where you stuck to the server you were put on in the first place. Unless (I think) you upgrade to an advanced account, etc.

Shawn, I don't think there is a way to check what server you are on if it is down. I've tried with samspade.org to see if any of that output info can be used to do this, but as far as I can tell, you can't.
    Fayez Zaheer