Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hitting the design/programming wall

First of all I want to preface by saying that I do enjoy web and graphic design, web "programming" and technology in general (I can't get enough of the latest tech news!) I'm pretty good a doing a little bit of everything but often because of time constraints and other things I feel I hit a "wall" technology and design wise.

I often find myself getting in a "rut" design wise and will design around a similar style.

I also hit a wall when it comes to educating myself on web technologies. I try to keep up with the lastest on a very consistant basis but for all practical purposes I have a hard time getting past "the first few chapters" either in books or "metaphorically". For example I'm familiar with XML and the benefits but I rarely have the time to educate myself on the deeper stuff and the deeper stuff is usually the more beneficial.

Let's just say I can learn enough to download a script and customize it to my needs but I can't remember the last time I've totally written something like javascript, php, asp from "scratch". I really admire the people who can

Who else feels this way? Does your head start swimming past a certain point?

yep, all the time. the only way to get through it is to remember the goal, and if I don't have one, or if it isn't worth it, I usually forget about it, which happens alot.

I like to go to different design websites. Not to steal their ideas, but to look at sites that are new and fresh, just to expand my creativity a bit. My current favorite is www.coolhomepages.com
    The zebra's stripes are lacking hues,
    They don't compare to you-know-whose.
    Orange, black and white is what to wear!
    It's haute couture for those who dare.
    It's camouflage, and stylish too!
    Yes, tigers look the best, it's true!
    -Bill Watterson

Tyger's idea is a great one and I agree it is not to steal a layout but to give yourself some new ideas. There are also some great sites out there that offer graphics for websites. Just do a search in your favorite search engine for "Web Graphics" and see what comes up.

I want to stress... Do Not Steal The Template of Graphics!.... use them to get your creative juices going.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

With regards to webmastering and resources for getting yourself out of dead-ends and dark corners might I suggest you visit www.webmasterworld.com

With regards to design, I like to visit the Communication Arts (www.commarts.com) website and view the Interactive Design Award winners. They have a variety of highlighted websites listed with some very nice design concepts.
    apathy is a dominant gene -- mutate

I took a look at www.webmasterworld.com . Interesting stuff. I especially liked the discussion regarding letting NN4 and all the other antiquated browsers die and forcing people to update. I've put together pages that work with IE5+ and NN6+ and possibly some others that claim (appCodeName) to have Mozilla engines like Konquerer (although with that brand at least z-index appears to be broken), but that's only because I can test them. I don't have NN4 and no luck in tracking one down on the net. All the links divert you to the new NN7.1 . So even the manafacturers are against you making your pages backwards compatible - otherwise why make it so difficult to do? Anyone know where I can download unsupported versions like NN4?

SJP

I think I may have a copy somewhere on my computer but would have to look... If I do maybe I can get it to you. Don't want to get in trouble with copyright law and stuff but in this case don't think they would arrest me..
    Shawn

Default browser archive

Quote Originally Posted by SJP
    So even the manafacturers are against you making your pages backwards compatible - otherwise why make it so difficult to do? Anyone know where I can download unsupported versions like NN4?
    Did you check the browser archive over at http://browsers.evolt.org/? I believe if you look under the Navigator Section, you'll find what you're looking for.

Yeah, the discussion about NN4 gets lively though I think the majority of us have decided to drop it. While it constitutes about 3% of my visitors the headaches involved in keeping my website compatible outweigh the benefits. So I opted to have my sites degrade gracefully whenever an NN4 user arrives. The user won't see it as I had intended but they will be able to navigate and get the information their looking for.
    apathy is a dominant gene -- mutate

I did find a copy of NN4.51 in my stuff.
    Shawn