Default Content Management

I'm looking for a good script or set of scripts for the content management for the website or the organization I work for. I have found a few at places like hotscripts.com and other places but have not been totally happy. I need something to manage news updates (other content too),

An interactive calendar (so outside staff, board and other non-office people) can post events, meetings, etc.

Also we will be doing a survey or surveys out our

1.) Organization in general

2.) Our print newsletter

3.) The website

The website this will work with is

http://www.outreachnorthamerica.org

it's the website for the "home missions" ministry of the Assoiciate Reformed Presbyterian Church Denomination. I primarily use Dreamweaver and Fireworks for the design work but I do work in code view a good bit so I'm not scared of scripts!

PostNuke maybe what you are looking for.
    www.postnuke.org

or, when they release a final version:
    www.xaraya.com

Hey Linker,

I think I'm in exactly the same spot you are. There are free services such as Yahoo! that don't quite fit all our needs, but then there's the extremely unpolished GPL tools that require a degree in CompSci to install and maintain.

I'm looking at the following:

- Collaborator - http://www.icollaborate.net/product.html - provides a groupware calendar with robust scheduling tools and a contacts database. It is a relatively polished commercial product and shouldn't pose too much of a burden. A free 5-user version is available for download.

- ScheduleOnline Gold is a hosted service and is the most expensive option here ($8/user/month) but has corporate-caliber calendar/contact/scheduling tools (including the ability to merge personal/business calndars). A complete online demo is avialable at: http://www.scheduleonline.com/products_gold.php?pn_id= A less expensive version (ScheduleOnline Silver) is also offered for $20/year, but sacrifices some of the more powerful project management tools. Check it out at: http://www.scheduleonline.com/produc...ver.php?pn_id=

- Collabrio's MyEvents is an online calendar/contacts/file sharing service with some project management tools (such as to-do lists) and a solid reputation. It features PDA syncronization with Palm Desktop and Outlook. It costs $4/month and can been seen online at http://www.myevents.com/Login.asp?R=

If anyone out there has experience with any of these, or can suggest alternatives, I'd love to here your feedback!

-Brad

Take a look at pMachine Pro pmachine.com

I think it does about everything that you want.
    --
    Rob
    BeaverheadRiver.com - SW Montana's Online Community
    Undisclosed-Location.com - VP Cheney's E-mail Address

Hate to bump an old thread. I went with Miraserver for the above site I mentioned however I'm still struggling for a more robust solution. I do want to have a blogging like function for updating current content BUT I also want to be able to wrap my current site design around the interactive features instead of having to use the template or skins that come with so many other content management systems.

Miraserver does allow me to wrap an established site design around their interactive features however it's not quite a full featured as other systems.

Another thing that is holding me back is testing a system. if I could upload everything to a subdirectory first for testing that would be great but I would need to easily switch to the default root of the web when needed.

One reason I am looking at this is I want a good system to offer clients. Something I could set up as a service but the client could configure if they wanted. It would be great if Westhost could offer a top notch content manangement system as part of the package options.

Default Open Source Content Management System

I don't know if this thread is still valid, but Westhost has recently begun offering two software packages, Joomla (aka Mambo) and WordPress that might meet your needs.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

mG

I don't know if you have seen it but http://www.opensourcecms.com/ has demos and reviews of most of the big open source CMS's out there.
    Scott

I'm probably going to go with the current Joobla program that Westhost provides. It looks a bit more user friendly than it's previous incarnation, Mambo. I'm also not looking for user friendly for my sake but rather the user's sake. I have set up content management systems for clients in the past and they still need to ask my help for content updates. I've encountered issues with other clients that client have already used. The content management input field looked a lot like the reply box on these forums but to actually format things correctly a user still needs to know html, etc.
    ----------------------

SpinningSilk Multimedia - User friendly
    creative and technical solutions
    for your life and work

You mentioned the input fields and the fact that a client still needs to know HTML. I was kicking around the internet yesterday and was reminded of FCKeditor. It is a WYSIWYG editor for the browser. I think that VB actually has something like it as an option for the post screen.

This one really seems to have come a long way. I know that I have used other versions of a similiar type with clients although I have used it with custom php code for adding content to thier site. It does seem to work pretty well but I have found that I need to modify the code and limit some of the features available to them at times. In the past these types of editors have not been very well recieved since they did not support all browsers but it seems as if FCKeditor has licked that to some extent.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson