Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't edit RBL: error on zen.spamhaus.org

I get the following error:
    The Dynamic Spam Rejection with RBLs edit failed: The requested RBL zen.spamhaus.org did not pass validation. Please ensure it is spelled correctly, or contact support for assistance.

It used to work fine... Did something change with zen.spamhaus.org, can't I use it anymore?

Also, does anyone have an up to date list of all the best ones to add in the extra list?

Kind regards,
    MichaŽl

Looks like maybe spamhaus has changed it usage criteria. I think they have switched over to more of a paid service. https://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage/ https://www.spamhaustech.com/free-trial/

I assume this is on an old Site Manager account. If I recall spamhaus used to be one of the defaults you could choose. I bet you'll need to contact support and ask them if they can update the defaults, or you may be stuck with simply not using spamhaus. I am sure that support can sort that out for you though.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Just checked one of my old Site Manager accounts. spamhause.org is not one of the defaults so contacting support may not be needed. If you do want to use them then I would suggest going through the process in the links I set in the last reply so you can get an updated address. I am currently using the following in Others if that helps: bl.spamcop.net cbl.abuseat.org b.barracudacentral.org psbl.surriel.com dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
    Shawn

Thanks for the tips and help!

I went with the 3 default ones: cbl.abuseat.org, bl.spamcop.net and psbl.surriel.com.
    And added: dnsbl.sorbs.net b.barracudacentral.org dnsbl.dronebl.org bl.spameatingmonkey.net multi.uribl.com list.dnswl.org

So no more spamhause for me, but lets see how this works...
    I am getting thousands of spam mails since a few months (catch all address), and maybe this was related to the spamhause one not working anymore (and therefor maybe (partly) breaking spam detection)...

Here's hoping!

Guess I was a little to enthousiastic... not getting any mail anymore from sony now

Trying to enable logging on spamassasin/dynamic spam rejection, so that I know who is killing it, but can't find out how to do it on my old westhost domain (not cpanel).

I switched to only the ones from your list, and I'm receiving sony mail again.
    Marked as spam by spam assassin, but hey... that's sony's fault

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by GamePlayHeaven; 11-23-2016 at 03:05 AM.

I don't think there is any logging when it comes to RBLs. They simply get dumped. Or if there is I am not aware of it. Some of the list are pretty aggressive so you have to kind of play with which ones you use.

If you can I would encourage you to upgrade the domain to one of the new cPanel accounts. They do much better at filtering out bad emails. That being said it is possible that it would also filter out your Sony email's. My original domain with WestHost is still on the old SiteManager system and it gets tons of spam email. I use a combination of SpamAssasin and the filtering in Thunderbird to throw it in the Junk folder. Makes it easy for me to scan and dump the junk. Automation is great but I like the final control.
    Shawn

It's doing a good job with the new setup... But a lot of stuff does get through (like "Returned mail: see transcript for details" spam).
    I added the filters plugin to roundcube, and it works, but seems to be kinda slow.

So now I'm looking into custom spam filters in spam assassin.
    If I can add the current roundcube filters to spam assassin, then I could mark them all as spam, and would only need 1 filter in roundcube to move them to the junk folder.
    Hopefully then it will be faster

Well, I got it set up nicely through spam assassin rules, but while doing that, I discovered that all the "Returned mail: see transcript for details" is not coming through spam assassin.
    If I send my domain an email (from work mail for example) with that subject, spam assassin catches it, and markes it as spam (so my rule is working).
    Yet if I look in domain mail, the actual spam with that subject is not marked...

I get hundreds, if not thousands of those "Returned mail: see transcript for details" spam emails every day...
    I now added a filter in my email again, but should I be worried?

I'm guessing someone/thing/script is sending out emails with an email address from my domain, but there is not much I can do about that... is there?

I notice in the email header, that my own email is being received as follows:
    Received: from localhost by wsl00001.west-datacenter.net
    with SpamAssassin (version 3.2.4);

Where as the spam that isn't caught by spamassassin is being received through:
    Return-Path: <MAILER-DAEMON@mydomainname.com>
    Received: from localhost (localhost)

Yeah I think maybe that is stuff sent out by spammers that are spoofing your domain. I think the intent is to get it returned to your domain in a way that the filters miss it. Mine now get dumped in my Junk folder but I think it is Thunderbird that has "learned" they are spam from me marking them. I'll try and pay more attention the next time I get such junk.... pretty often actually.

It is either that or there is something on your account i.e. a PHP program that is being abused and sending out emails... any chance of that?
    Shawn