Exclamation Sudden huge bandwidth peaks from 1 ip

Hello,

I was looking at my stats for last year, and I noticed that in November and December I had huge bandwidth usage (150 and 50 GB respectively), where I normally have less then 4GB per month.

Further investigation shows that almost all access in November is on 2 days (67 GB on Nov 8th and 76 GB on Nov 9th), all from the same IP address (looked it up, Virtua in Sao Paulo, Brazil).
    December looks similar, 2 days with big peaks (10 and 30 GB), divided over 2 IPs, both belonging to Virtua in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Under visitors/domains, it shows as:
    Flag Icon - Domains/Countries - Country Code - Pages - Hits - Bandwidth
    Unknown - Unknown - ip - 32546 - 34591 - 145.97 GB
    Unknown - Unknown - ip - 7868 - 9988 - 45.05 GB

Obviously, I'm super worried right now...
    Did I get hacked? did my data get stolen? What happened here, and how do I prevent it?

Can anyone help me?

Kind regards,
    Michael

Turns out that it's 6992 downloads of on average 7.02 MB of one of my old games, that calculates nicely into the used up GB.

It's still weird why I would have such a sudden an intense burst of downloads, all from the same IP.
    I will keep an eye on it, and if it keeps up, I assume I will have to put some kind of check in there to limit the nr of downloads from the same IP to XX every YY time.

But at least I can now shake the sickly gut feeling, plus feel good about having updated all my passwords

Thanks for listening!

Kind regards,
    Michael

Good to hear you where able to determine what it was they where after. Because of the amount of downloads, I really doubt they where "real" downloads. I guess it could be possible that it was some type of DOS attack. I think your idea to put a limit on the amount of downloads per IP is a good idea. I mean I have as a real user perhaps had to try and access a download more then once but I would bet these request where all within non-human time limit capabilities.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson