Default Is west host ever going to get their flaming act together with mod security/ joomla

I was trying to update a site from joomla 2.5.28 to Joomla 3.3.6. Joomla 2.5 is end of life 12/31/14 so this is an important update/migration.

The updated failed. It took about 18 hours for the backups to be restored.

When the backups were restored, I was ONCE AGAIN getting locked out of the Joomla back end because westhost can't seem to make mod security work with Joomla installations. Apaprently restoring the backup broke whatever exceptions they put in for mod security.

Now, I still need to migrate the site to Joomla 3.x .. I've done that for two other clients hosted on westhost and both time, the stinking mod security reared it's ugly head until westhost tech support got around to fixing the mod security exceptions.. That left me with an ugly half assed looking unsecure site because I could not get reliable access to the Joomla back end.

Is there any way that we can pre-emptively fix the mod security issue for joomla sites when we as for a restore or if we upgrade joomla?? Or can the westhost engineers stop penalizing site owners who are trying to keep their sites properly updated??/

Thanks /rant

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you have been seeing these issues. We are aware of the administrator lock out with ModSecurity. Though we cannot, proactively add an exception to this ModSecurity to all accounts, as it does protect against more than just the bizarre way Joomla logs administrator login sessions. We are looking at ways we can improve this so it blocks the other stuff but not the Joomla administrator sessions but do not know when that will happen yet.

If you have any questions or concerns with this, please contact our technical support team.
    Reed

WestHost Level 2 Technical Support
    Believe in Better Hosting

Does modsecurity also cause an "mySQL server went away" Message?? I put a copy of my site in a subfolder and tried to do the update to j 3.x.

I got that message when trying to do the update.

Quote Originally Posted by rcardon View Post
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear you have been seeing these issues. We are aware of the administrator lock out with ModSecurity. Though we cannot, proactively add an exception to this ModSecurity to all accounts, as it does protect against more than just the bizarre way Joomla logs administrator login sessions. We are looking at ways we can improve this so it blocks the other stuff but not the Joomla administrator sessions but do not know when that will happen yet.

If you have any questions or concerns with this, please contact our technical support team.