Default How do you allow our local server to send mail through a cpanel account

We were on site manager. The enterprise system was set up to send smtp mail masquerading as hillmanbrass.com We migrated to cpanel and the enterprise (linux) system can not send mail.

I tried adding our public IP to the authentication in cpanel.

Your current raw SPF record is : v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:208.131.135.13 +ip4:74.92.110.46/32 +ip4:74.92.110.46 ~all

Support said that it is a dns issue since the emails are coming from servername.hillmanbrass.local.

Here is the bounce message

Used * to block out some info...

mail -v *******@hillmanbrass.com
    Subject: test email
    Testing the email from hillman**
    Cc:
    ******@hillmanbrass.com... Connecting to hillmanbrass.com. via esmtp...
    220-sl-508-10.slc.westdc.net ESMTP Exim 4.82 #2 Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:05:20 -0600
    220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
    220 and/or bulk e-mail.
    >>> EHLO hillman**.hillmanbrass.local
    250-sl-508-10.slc.westdc.net Hello 74-92-110-46-philadelphia.hfc.comcastbusiness
    .net [74.92.110.46]
    250-SIZE 52428800
    250-8BITMIME
    250-PIPELINING
    250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
    250-STARTTLS
    250 HELP
    >>> MAIL From:<root@hillman**.hillmanbrass.local> SIZE=81
    250 OK
    >>> RCPT To:<******@hillmanbrass.com>
    >>> DATA
    550-Verification failed for <root@hillman**.hillmanbrass.local>
    550-The mail server could not deliver mail to root@hillman**
    .hillmanbrass.local.
    The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the p
    roper dns entries.
    550 Sender verify failed
    503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error:
    503-Sender verify failed
    503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA
    >>> RSET
    250 Reset OK
    /dead.letter... Saved message in /dead.letter
    Closing connection to hillmanbrass.com.
    >>> QUIT
    221 sl-508-10.slc.westdc.net closing connection

The sendmail.cf masquerade is set to
    DMhillmanbrass.com

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to get this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by cgmsys View Post
    We were on site manager. The enterprise system was set up to send smtp mail masquerading as hillmanbrass.com We migrated to cpanel and the enterprise (linux) system can not send mail.

>>> EHLO hillman**.hillmanbrass.local

It looks like this is configured to show the hostname hillman**.hillmanbrass.local, correct?

Support said that it is a dns issue since the emails are coming from servername.hillmanbrass.local.

The problem would be somewhat DNS related since hillmanbrass.local is not a valid registered domain name. When the cPanel server checks to see if it is coming from a valid sender it fails.

>>> MAIL From:<root@hillman**.hillmanbrass.local> SIZE=81
    550-Verification failed for <root@hillman**.hillmanbrass.local>
    550-The mail server could not deliver mail to root@hillman**
    .hillmanbrass.local.
    The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the p
    roper dns entries.
    550 Sender verify failed
    503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error:
    503-Sender verify failed
    503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA

You can see here that it is trying to send as root@hillman**.hillmanbrass.local which triggering the DNS failure.

The sendmail.cf masquerade is set to
    DMhillmanbrass.com

Is this masquerade setup in your local sendmail.cf file? The cPanel service uses Exim and I do not see this configured on the Site Manager account. You would see this error on cPanel and not Site Manager, because cPanel does check to ensure the senders are valid before accepting them for delivery.

I suspect that you only need to modify the sending address in your local configuration to be from a valid email address, even if it is spoofing an address on the cPanel account. Without understanding your exact enterprise setup, I would refer you to http://www.sendmail.com/sm/open_sour...querading.html .

Please feel free to come into a live chats if needed to discuss your setup further or clarify a little more about your sending server configuration and perhaps someone can identify the required changes.

It looks like this is configured to show the hostname hillman**.hillmanbrass.local, correct?"
    Actually it is hillman14.hillmanbrass.local

The problem would be somewhat DNS related since hillmanbrass.local is not a valid registered domain name. When the cPanel server checks to see if it is coming from a valid sender it fails.
    What I found surprising is that the mail went through to gmail and office 365 emails but failed going to hillmanbrass.com I would have thought that google and office would have rejected the email. Am I correct in assuming that the current situation would result in mail failing to some portion of recipients (those using cpanel)?

You can see here that it is trying to send as root@hillman**.hillmanbrass.local which triggering the DNS failure.
    I'll see if the systems folks on the other end can change that. Unfortunately I understand that the AIX version of sendmail does not allow SMTPAUTH.. If I"m not mistaken, that is what would have to happen to change the from . Is that correct? (ie. you have to modify the sendmail command to pass the user name and password.

Is there any way of doing a mail relay from our local server to the world through our cpanel account?? If cpanel has our in house ip listed as 'authorized' is there a way to use our cpanel account as a relay? It would not be an open relay because the ip of the sending server is validated.

Actually it is hillman14.hillmanbrass.local
    Am I correct in assuming that the current situation would result in mail failing to some portion of recipients (those using cpanel)?
    Sorry for the delay. Normally you would want to either have the form on the website send the email, use SMTPAUTH to log in and send the email from the cPanel server, or you would send it directly from your enterprise server.

For the shared cPanel environment, there is no way to relay the emails through the server without authenticating as a particular user or sending it to a script on the cPanel server to generate and send the email. The authorized list you added your IP address to is the SPF record which helps with delivery, but is not part of controlling the whether or not the email is forwarded through the cPanel server. This forwarding would only occur if the user or script authenticated with a username and password to send the email as that user.