Default How can you update spamassassin? or any server based alternatives???

I have a reseller account I use mainly for my sites..My main site and therefore my main email is on that account.

The increase in spam is killing me, especially with my droid phone.. The ratio of spam to legitimate mail must be running 20:1 ..

I looked at the spamassassin site and their latest is 3.3.2 I checked my /manager and the version there is 3.2.4. I went into my packages manager thinking I would add 3.3.2 as part of the package. However the latest package available is 3.2.4.

Spam is killing me ... I had another thread about using the server version of mailwasher. However, the budget won't hold up to upgrading to a dedicated server at this time. The problem is compounded by the influx of spam rendering my droid inefficient for reading my emails.

I'm looking for

- How to Upgradeto the latest spamassassin on my hosting
    - Any tricks I can use with SA to reduce the number of spam ads getting through. I know SA doesn't kill emails. I did see a procmail script to do that.
    - any server based alternatives that would kill spam at the server level.
    - Any other tricks.. Perhaps forwarding email to another account after filtering it on the server.. ???

May a bloody festering pox infest the houses of all spammers.

thanks

chris

I use the promail script to delete some of the spam at the server, but I don't use it on all of them. Too worried it may delete something legit.

I am not sure you are going to be able to update spam assassin. Matt had a go at it way back when and you could have a look at his site for what he did then. http://www.domsch.com/westhost/ It is not obvious. Look for the heading Perl. He used cpan to install it but had to upgrade Perl first because of the newer SA requirements. You'll need to really review closely the current requirements and see that your server set up meets them.

I am sure you have heard this but some folks route/forward all their email through gmail now. They say their filters are really good. Do be aware though that gmail does scan emails for advertising reasons, so you are losing a certain level of privacy. Then again who knows... could be someone is looking at all our email and it is just Google that is up front about it.

If possible you might want to try and create new email addresses to use and dump the old ones. Try and protect these new email addys the best you can. I personally have a couple email addresses that are intended for public use that I know spammers may get a hold of. Those are actually the ones I mentioned above that I don't mind sending through the procmail script that deletes based on SA score. Also remember that SA is only as good as the rules you set in place for it. There are tons of examples of home grown rules for SA out there you can find and as spammers change their tactics so do your rules need to change.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

I think that the gmail option might work. I'll put some time aside to play with that.

thanks

chris

Chris,

Yes I think forwarding your mail to gmail is going to be a long term solution that does not require constant attention. This might be helpful in getting you started. http://forums.westhost.com/showthrea...ll=1#post45654 Issac suggest not actually simply forwarding your email but using remote POP to have gmail fetch your mail.
    Shawn

Followed the trail of links in the above thread and saw this.
    If you are a WestHost 3.0 client (accounts created before November 2009, with Site Manager) there are three things to explain why it doesn't work for you: 1) your account needs a dedicated IP address, 2) your username for the outgoing mail server should be just the username instead of the full e-mail address, and 3) you first need to contact technical support to have the STARTTLS feature enabled on their account.
    Thought I would pass this on here since I am pretty sure you still have or at least deal with Site Manager accounts.
    Shawn