Default What is the backup routine for a Preferred cPanel Hosting plan?

How often, and how many backups are kept by WH for a Preferred cPanel Hosting plan? Are backups stored off-server, tape, drive etc.

thanks

j

WestHost Employee

Hello J_M!

Our Shared environment servers have a backup performed once every 24 hours. The backups are stored on a separate backup server's hard disks. Backups are normally retained for 3-5 days and then are rotated to make room for new backups.

You can find details on restoring files from backup here: How do I restore my files from backup?

=)
    -----
    Seth Jensen
    Sr. Technical Support Manager
    WestHost - http://www.westhost.com

Hi Seth

I was fortunate to have noticed the last hack within a couple hours, but it appears that some sites were not notified until after the 5 day refresh of the backups.

Will there be any changes made as a result of this last attack. Possibly more aggressive scanning of the sites for malware or retaining backups over a longer period of time?

thanks

j

WestHost Employee

Because of the recent account compromise issue we have retained ALL backups from the time period that we saw them occurring. Meaning that those specific days backups will NOT rotate and will be available for some time so we have clean data to restore from. Those backups won't be rotated until we are certain that they are no longer needed.

Will there be any changes made as a result of this last attack. Possibly more aggressive scanning of the sites for malware or retaining backups over a longer period of time?
    Yes, however, at this time I don't know exactly what those changes will be specifically. I do know that a number of options are being investigated. We do need to be careful not to make the hosting incredibly complicated, but at the same time, maintain a higher level of security.

To use an analogy, it's comparable to a neighborhood where a "house" would be a specific hosting account. We already require that a unique key (password) is used to gain access, and we provide the police (network/infrastructure security) that patrol the neighborhood as well as set requirements for secure building materials (server security). We even keep very close tabs on who is allowed to access to the neighborhood at all (firewall).

It's a delicate balance between ensuring that the house (site) can be seen, functionality works, and it can be accessed and utilized by the homeowner in a reasonably unobstructed manner, all while still keeping the baddies out. It doesn't help when homeowners leave their gates open, doors unlocked, and/or ladders leaning up against open windows etc. Obviously, the easiest/quickest way to stop abuse and malicious attacks would be to build a huge wall around a house and disconnect it from the neighborhood (Internet), but that makes it unusable and defeats the purpose.

We will continue to investigate alternative options to increase security in the environment without making it extremely annoying to use. Clients will be notified of any changes that would have a major impact on them or the usage of their account.
    -----
    Seth Jensen
    Sr. Technical Support Manager
    WestHost - http://www.westhost.com

Thanks for the feed back on this Seth! I do want to add just one thing in regards to backups. WH has a sister site that will do nightly backups for you also called Comcure http://comcure.com You can get one domain and database for free and additional domains and databases are only like $2 a month. Free version only keeps the last three days and has a 2gb disk quota. There Pro account is only $5 a month and includes 3 domains. 10 databases, last 10 days and more. Not a bad price really.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson