Thread: SFTP on WH3

Default SFTP on WH3

Has anyone installed their own FTP server on WH3? I have recently started hosting a charity website on my VPS and would like to give another person SFTP access to maintain that website. However the default setup only allows one SFTP user via port 22.
is it possible to run my own server (on a different port eg 2222)? I would rather use SFTP than FTP as the password is sent in clear text with FTP, leaving accounts open to sabotage.. I presume it's possible .

Richard
    Richard

I have jotted down some of my meddlings at http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress
    Click here for a full list of formatting codes for this forum

Richard,

You can install a custom FTP server. I was able to install and start Pure-FTPD on an account. If you want to use Pure-FTPD, I recommend using the --with-nonroot switch on the ./configure. Then, for your startup script, you would want to to have it run '/usr/local/sbin/pure-ftpd -S port &', this will allow it to run on the port you specify.
    If you need it to run TLS, so you would need to use the --with-tls switch on your ./configure as well.

Do not get me wrong, I am not a booster for Pure-FTPD, it is just the one I tried, so others should be able to be installed as well, so long as they do not require root access to compile, install or run.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Reed

WestHost Level 2 Technical Support
    Believe in Better Hosting