Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mys

First let me start by saying that I know nothing about MySql, how it works etc, but here's the full error that has popped up a couple times on a website on sl-507-3 server, with a phpBB3 forum. This is a sporadic error and I've done nothing to bring it back to be functioning, which is where it is currently.

>General Error
    SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) [2002]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

When this error was occurring I clicked on MySQL within the cPanel and it said that SQL Server was offline.

Is the SQL Server shared?
    If it is shared is it possible that this server is overloaded at times?
    would check / repair the database be of any use?
    If I run check database is there any chance of causing a problem, and/or does the server need to be restarted after checking?

any thoughts?

thanks

In a cPanel account, mysql is shared with the other users on the servers along with apache. It is one of the major differences between the older Site Manager accounts and the new cPanel account. Who knows what is actually happening when you do get this error. About the only thing you can do is make a note of the time the error happens and keep a record which you could then relay to WestHost in a support ticket.

Do realize that since it is shared you are only allowed to so much access to it. Is your phpBB3 forum extremely busy at times? Does it perhaps happen in a particular area of the board where calls to mysql may be higher like in an Admin area? Have you added a feature/extension/plugin (sorry can't remember what they call them over at phpbb) that may be increasing the hits to the database?

It won't hurt anything to check and repair the database but I doubt it will change this particular issue from happening. It is more important to make sure that your tables are optimized but more then likely phpBB3 is already doing that from time to time.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Is there any info/docs as to the procedure of checking and repairing the database within cPanel, I can't seem to find any. ( I don't want to create any new problems).

Would there be a log of the SQL server indicating usage and when it is offline?

thanks again.

j

>Shawn

Hi Shawn -

This is really off topic, but why don't charities accept donations without having to get your name, info, mailing, birthdates, eye color, weight, etc. There are some aggregate non-profits that allow you to pass through donations without sending all that info, they do take 3-4% for the service but I think it's worth it.

I would think that allowing more anonymous donations would be a boon to the charities. When Google setup that type of donation for Haiti and Japan it was easy and painless to donate for me, but the threat of yet another group having more of my email and mailing info is a real turn off.

The redcross has been a great charity but I wish they would make donating easier without strings attached.

regards

j

Well I am sure they want at least the email address so that they can keep in contact with you and see if you'll donate more when they find themselves in a bind. Also if you are paying by credit card they may need some of the information to process the payment. That being said I am pretty sure that any charity would be willing to take your donation without gathering all the info but you might have to hunt a bit for the method. You can always send a donation to the Redcross for example by snail mail. Now granted the on-line page has you fill in your address and such but that is for a tax receipt. There is nothing stopping you from simply sending a check to the address listed on the page.
    Shawn

Hi Shawn

You're absolutely right, RedCross does allow you to opt out of mailings at the bottom of the donation page.

Any idea if the MySql log is available to the enduser or only to WH?

regards, j

I don't think we have access to them as the end user of a regular cPanel account. I think you would have to have a dedicated server and full access to the WHM/cPanel account.
    Shawn

Oh also I just caught your other question about checking and repairing a database in cPanel. You can do the via phpMyAdmin and there is a link to that in cPanel under the Database section.
    Shawn

Is there one MySQL server for each server?

I've always assumed that there is a single installation of MySQL on each server. Same with Apache and other system programs. That is at least how I have always understood how WHM/cPanel works. I guess the better question is if there is a single installation of WHM/cPanel on each server.
    Shawn