Thumbs down The Future of WestHost 3.0 (Site Manager) "conversation" doesn't work

"you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Way to go to get your customers to "participate in an open conversation".

-- p

Default Re: Site Manager "open conversation"

Since the thread about the v3 platform "conversation" is locked, here's my monologue:

- the main reason I went with WestHost years ago was root access and gcc compiling
    - I stayed on because of great tech support and the niceties of an expert boutique shop
    - pricing ranks pretty low on my priorities, my time matters more than a few $/mo

Sometime after the UK2 acquisition:

- an opaque concept of v3/4 platforms surfaces, with no technical info, but an upgrade can't be bad
    - tech support went from problem-solving to time-wasting; expertise fell off a cliff
    - after a one-hour chat I couldn't tell if I was dealing with an actual human being, I'd get the same (unhelpful) reply to different questions
    - one rep couldn't tell me where my platform version was listed in Site Manager's UI, nor point me to *any* resource explaining the differences with "v4"
    - one rep called the v3 platform an "end-of-life" product (gasp!), said there was no automatic upgrade path, nor technical resources to assist a customer upgrade on his own dime. The solution was to "request a quote" (!) or start from scratch... like when you switch to a new host
    - a rep finally pointed me to a comparative sheet: the v4 "upgrade" lacks features essential to my company, adds irrelevant others
    - I repeatedly had to argue with billing about their "mistakes", none in my favor
    - the cloud pitch went up in smoke (sorry) when WH servers went offline for several hours on November 5, 2010, apparently because 1 (one) fiber cable was cut. My site and email were dead, WH's web support, email and even PBX all down -- the only channel left was Twitter. www.westhost.com continued to flash cheery ads touting its reliability though :-)

Yesterday's "let's talk about v3" email tops it all:

- differences between platforms should have been announced months ago
    - rebranding platforms is too little, too late -- v4 sounds like an upgrade to v3
    - whether one platform is "not necessarily better than the other" depends on the customer's needs
    - assurances WH will "continue to support Site Manager" mean zilch considering most application versions are outdated. Since you obviously want to shut it down, all I'd expect is a slow rot
    - that "cPanel is efficient (...) on our costs" ads insult to injury: what about the time&money customers have and will waste?
    - the SSL CERT and rebates feel like Halloween handouts
    - the forum to "participate in an open discussion" is locked

I don't get why UK2 would acquire a company reputed for its low-level expertise and turn it into a GoDaddy clone. I don't blame WH stakeholders for "selling out", I hope they enjoy the money, but communication with the very customers that got them there was less than honest. Ensuing changes were brutal, caught many of us off-guard and failures costly. Today's WH is a totally different company offering totally different products for a totally different market.

Nothing will make up for the loss of root access and c++ compilation to companies who need it; forget half-hearted customer retention attempts and point us to alternative hosts to switch to, you know, companies like WH used to be. I looked around briefly but can't afford wasting more time, I'm already thousands of Dollars in the red.

thanks,

-- p

Sorry you could not reply to the thread at the time.

I am more concerned that your feeling and confidence for WestHost can be restored to a more favorable position. I agree that we should have had the conversation about our Site Manager platform much sooner and I am sorry that it didn't happen that way but glad to initiate it now. We are always interested to participate in positive conversations intended to progress the Internet environment but we avoid speech where antagonistic words are delivered an a way to debilitate the primary party; whether it's us or someone else.

Having spent the last two days planning for the upcoming year and the changes therein I am excited and enthused about what's ahead. I hope that you can be a part and thank you for the work we've done together thus far.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

I tried but got kicked out, again.

Too little too late, I'm giving Linode a test.

Not sure why it didn't work... and you'll be missed.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost