Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default network status page for cPanel sites?

is there a page like this for cPanel Sites?

http://netstatus.westhost.com/

thanks

j

We are in the process of creating more tools like this. Basically making our net status page more robust.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

Quote Originally Posted by jneeley View Post
    We are in the process of creating more tools like this. Basically making our net status page more robust.
    you may want to change the auto-response on the "live chat" which links to the old network status page until this gets updated - "If you are unable to access your account, please also check our Network Status page."

This should help taming the use of LiveChat and tickets.... I guess what I'm trying to say is better now than later.

thanks

We have now updated the net status page (http://netstatus.westhost.com/) to include cPanel servers. This is the first step to making this tool more robust
    Last edited by jneeley; 01-18-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

is the net status page "smart" and reports problems without input from admins?

unfortunately I've needed to check on it over the past couple days because my server has been down (it's been down all day today), but each time that I notice a problem the netstatus page reports "all good" until much later in the day.

I think that the net status page still needs input from the Admins at least for the messages at the top of the page.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Hi Shawn

I assumed that the top comment area was manual, but I was hoping for the bottom chart to be part of a larger plan/system.

Other than clients sending in tickets or chats about down servers, is there any active monitoring that alerts admins?

regards

j

Yes the system is monitored. Not sure of the scope of the monitoring or how it is done but I know that if a server goes down they are aware of it without someone calling in. I think the output on the bottom is automated but on that page I think maybe it is not "real time". In other words it is not directly linked into their monitoring system but some how gets notified by or contacts the monitoring system. I imagine that is why WestHost is working on updating the system.

Also remember this is monitoring the servers and not the individual accounts. A server can be fine but there can still be a problem with the account itself. For example on the older Site Manager accounts the server itself can be operational but an individual account service could be down and a restart of the account needed.
    Shawn

In regards to the fact that only the server itself is monitored and not individual accounts. I don't think it would be feasible for WestHost to monitor this. I mean technically I am sure they could but since we have control over (depending on account type) turning services off and on or even if they are used it would not really make sense for them to monitor on that level. Such monitoring should really be up to us to configure and manage.
    Shawn

Hi Shawn

It would be good if they do update this. If I have a problem the first place I check is the status page, and usually it's not posted yet, which means that I need to contact tech support because I don't know if they are aware of the problem. If the problem is on the net status page I don't need to go any further because I know that it's being looked at.

So, a better net status page would free up much of the tech support time, and customers would know without much effort or time that problems are being addressed.

regards

j