Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Future of WestHost 3.0 (Site Manager)

A few of you have asked what our plans are with regard to the Site Manager platform and the future of it. We’re sending a newsletter to everyone today on this platform with special offers related to it but we’d like to finish the newsletter topic here.

Foundational to understanding everything hereafter revolves around knowing the difference between the platform you are on and the platform we use for all new accounts. These two platforms are quite different: one not necessarily better than the other, just different. For this reason we will no longer refer to our platforms as 3.0 and 4.0 but rather after their software. 3.0 will now be referred to as “Site Manager” and 4.0 will now be referred to as “cPanel.”

Site Manager Virtualization Powered by Sphera

The Site Manager platform revolves around virtualization software called Sphera. Sphera’s primary capacity and the key differentiating factor is its ability to run independent instances of core Linux applications like Apache, MySQL etc; therefore requiring more CPU as each account on the server makes independent requests to those core applications. This functionality also gives the end-user, you, special access to customize core applications without affecting other users on the server. With its ability to be customized, Sphera has been great and desirable for our clients but, if they want to switch a platform dissimilar to Sphera, causes technical difficulties in connecting all the backend parts and pieces.

This technology still works today and is as functional as is has always been. While we will continue to support Sphera, it is not being developed any further by the parent company Parallels. Several years ago Parallels purchased Sphera and decided to essentially close its own doors to further development shortly after the acquisition. Thankfully our own developers know Sphera (probably better then Sphera knew Sphera) and will continue to maintain and support it but don’t have the ability for added development. It is for this reason that all plans purchased after mid November 2009 are placed on a different platform centered on cPanel.

Efficiency Through cPanel

cPanel runs one instance of the core applications such as Apache, MySQL, etc. per server. Because cPanel clients essentially share these core applications they can not apply the same customizations and do not have root-like access.

Through cPanel we tune our servers much differently with only one instance of the core applications running. As a result cPanel is much more efficient by accomplishing most of the same tasks with less resource utilization on the server. Global performance, from the perspective of the end-user, does not change much between the two platforms because we take care of the difference on the back end through technical load balancing methods.

Migration Through Automation, Unavailable Now

When we initially moved to the cPanel platform we wanted to make an automatic tool to migrate everyone with the intelligence to give commands like, "all you right here (on Sphera)… move over there (to cPanel)." After extensive research and continued development hours we've found that making a tool like this is comparable to making a tool that can migrate all Windows applications to a Mac and expect it to function the same way... it's just not available with our current technology.

Our Site Manager platform road map for the next few years is clear and we’ll keep it alive. Our experience tells us not to predict beyond that so we continue to research, test, explore, and find new solutions every day to provide the premium services you expect; and expected when we started doing business together. We're constantly seeking new developments to provide you the functionality of Sphera, without Sphera, so until we come to that point we'll keep your hosting solution alive.

Our developers have created an analysis tool that provides information about the feasibility to move to cPanel. In a nut-shell it raises potential red flags you should watch for if you choose to move to cPanel. For those who are interested you can contact the technical support team, request them to analyze your account and send you the results.

We’ll Deliver, No Account Left Behind

We want you to know we won’t abandon you; it does not make sense from a business perspective and it conflicts with our guiding principles of moral integrity, transparency, cooperative service and progression.

You came to us knowing about our premium level of hosting, and will stay with us based upon our continuation of that promise. We fully commit to enduring and exceeding your expectations. That could sound a little cliché but I can honestly say we are constantly thinking about our clients and how we can help; especially you, who have been with us for years. We want what’s best for everyone and are doing our best to make that happen.

As a token of our appreciation, and commitment to you we’ve applied a free upgrade to the specs of all Site Manager accounts. In addition, if you haven't seen them already, we given you a few coupon codes in the newsletter sent today to enhance your hosting experience.

We would love to connect with you, if we haven’t already, on Twitter, Facebook and our blog.

Default The Future of WestHost 3.0 (Site Manager)

Quote Originally Posted by newsletter
    We encourage you at some point to go get the details and participate in an open conversation go to the forum post here.
    Except that forum post is a closed conversation.

We’ve applied a free upgrade to the specs of all Site Manager accounts. In addition, if you haven't seen them already, we given you a few coupon codes in the newsletter sent today to enhance your hosting experience.
    What do you mean by "to the specs"? The new accounts are more expensive. For resellers specifically, the cheapest new package costs $50, while the cheapest old one costed about $27.95. Did you mean we can upgrade to the same specs/prices? The coupons just make it free for 2-3 months, but then you get the new prices.

Except that forum post is a closed conversation.
    I am trying to find out why it didn't post your comment initially. I got it to display by "moving" it to this thread.

What do you mean by "to the specs"?
    We have upgraded all the Site Manager (3.0) accounts and yes the new plans are different. The cPanel reseller plans are on a cloud hosting platform which has advantages and disadvantages; one disadvantage is that they are more expensive. The coupon codes will give you 2 months free without paying anything (as long as you choose monthly billing) and when you finish migrating and cancel your Site Manager account we'll apply any remaining credit to the new cPanel account
    Last edited by jneeley; 01-11-2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

You can now post to this thread. I found out how to change the permissions on this particular forum to allow this to happen; previously it was closed.
    Jake Neeley

Quote Originally Posted by jneeley View Post
    yes the new plans are different.
    Even with a few free months, why would I want to pay differently (i.e. about double what I pay now)? If I wanted to pay so much, I would have paid it originally.

To me it only makes sense that the cost of hosting would increase. In fact I have always been pleasantly surprised that WestHost does not raise the price of packages for current customers. I think it is the only service I subscribe to that does that. I know my electric, gas, cable, phone and other such services have almost doubled or more since I first started with them.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

why would I want to pay differently?
    Reseller plans on Site Manager and cPanel are even more different than regular shared hosting accounts; certainly can't compare apple to apples with this. If price is your only criteria, which is likely not the case, then pre-cloud plans (some cPanel included) are much better and you should stay where you are.

The benefits to the current reseller plans are that you get 100% dedicated resources; they are not configured on a shared hosting server but rather in a cloud environment. Excluding the benefit of dedicated resources the cloud also has the ability to heal itself. A cloud is essentially a large cluster of servers configured together to make a massive resource engine that communicates internally. With a large percentage of the clouds resources always sitting in stand-by mode it creates an opportunity for fail-over measures to be implemented; ie if one part (server) on the cloud starts failing then a stand-by section takes over keeping the data live. We will be enhancing our cloud platform even more later this year to make this even more flexible.

I don't fully know what situation you're in but if you don't like what's offered now just wait a little while because we're always working to enhance our hosting solutions.

@wildjokerdesign, good comments as well; helps us see this in a very practical way.
    Jake Neeley

I think when you are looking for a hosting company and looking at their plans you have to consider what is important to you. For example I would think that a cloud account would be very important to a site that depends on being up for it's revenue. Shopping carts, resellers offering hosting ect just can't afford to be down and they should be generating the income that supports the added cost. Then there are sites like one I manage that is more of a club for folks to connect up that is a pretty narrow subject matter. It caters to puppeteers and is simply a forum where they can hang out and exchange ideas. I provide it free of charge as a service to the puppet community. While I want reliable hosting, it is not going to hurt me or my members if the site can not be accessed for a period of time. Thus I don't see the need for spending the extra money for cloud hosting.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Money is a problem when you're asking for double the price, especially as the old packages came with a "99% up time" guarantee.

Question

I have a reseller account with many clients on it, as well as many clients who signed up with their own accounts with WestHost that I manage.

If I'm reading the email about the platforms correctly, if I want to stay with Site Manager, I don't need to do anything right now.

Eventually, when you do find a way to do a full migration, then you will migrate all existing Site Manager accounts to cPanel.

In the meantime, the cost of staying with Site Manager is the same, but there will be an increase when migrated to cPanel.

Is this right?
    Affordable, Professional Websites
    www.Maida.Net

Healthy Mind, Body and Soul
    www.TheHealthyMom.com

Your Friendly Neighborhood Comic Store
    www.BargainComics.com