Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Terri,

vps.net is a sister company of WestHost but I don't think that they use the same platform as WestHost. There may be similarities but they are separate entities.

I am not real sure about your question about dedicated resources so I'll let someone from WestHost answer that one.

I am not sure if there is a list anywhere of the applications available in Softaculous but I can tell you the list is a lot more extensive then in Site Manager. If there is a specific program you are concerned about I can check on it for you.

Updates to the OS should be handled by WestHost. Updates to programs available via Softaculous must be done by you but they do provide upgrade abilities via Softaculous. Just like in Site Manager you can install many things yourself like PHP and Perl scripts. You don't have access to the GNU tools like in Site Manager so you can install anything that requires root or root like access and the command line programs configure, make and make install.

Again in regards to running your own Nameserver, I am not sure of the answer so I'll let WestHost handle that.

Yes you can have parked and secondary domains. Have a look at the documentation for cPanel. http://www.cpanel.net/support.html That well show you what you have available to you. Specifically on that page check Website owner documentation. You also have some access to the API.

cPanel accounts do have POP3 but in order to copy over any existing email your clients may have on the server you need to do it via the IMAP set up. It is not too painful. I really should write up a article on how that is done. Maybe I can get to that in the next few days, or perhaps one of the WestHost techs have already done it over on their blog. I really need to keep up on the blog better.

Feel free to ask more questions. I'll try my best to answer them.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thought I would give a couple specifics on the IMAP/POP3 mail move.

When you install Dovecote on a Site Manager account it creates /var/spool/maildirs/[USERNAME] Inside that directory you'll find three directories tmp, new and cur.

Ok now over at your new cPanel account you are going to see something like this /home/[USERNAME]/mail Inside of that directory you should see some symlinks for each email address. This is only after you have created the email addresses via cPanel. They link to the example.com directory you see in that same directory and then to directories inside of that. If you get to those "user" directories you'll see the same three tmp, new and cur directories that you had over at the Site Manager account. That is where you transfer the mail files to. I know that in words it is kind of confuseing but once you are actually looking at the set up, it should become clear. One thing I did not mention is that in /home/[USERNAME]/mail there are also the three tmp, new and cur folders. These are for your default user account. In other words just like over at your Site Manager account you have an email address for the main username. I think most folks on both systems have no idea this account is there and I bet most the time it fills up with junk.
    Shawn

Thank you Shawn (wildjokerdesign) for all of the great information.

I have been researching the cPanel & WHM website.
    I do web design. I have used cPanel ( For a client on another hosting company). But not Web Host Manager. So I wonder how WHM compares to Server Manager. I logged into the demo (both on Westhost & WHM) but the meat and potatoes services are not available to view such as database servers, etc.

Re:
    You don't have access to the GNU tools like in Site Manager so you can install anything that requires root or root like access and the command line programs configure, make and make install.
    Are you referring to GNU Compiler? If so that is over my head I never used that. I mean can i manually install applications, such as a second install of wordpress or an application that is not in Softaculous?

I though of another question you might help me with.
    In WHM can domain accounts (clients) be assigned either POP3 or IMAP email?

Thank You Shawn

P.S.
    I do still hope to hear answers yet to my questions about:

What Xen brand/release is used for Virtualization? Is this still vps.net?

Will there be dedicated resources for the Cloud Reseller vps like in 3.0 such as:
    Dedicated Web Server
    Dedicated Mail Server
    Dedicated Database Server
    Dedicated FTP Server
    And would my client's share these resources with only me?

I currently have my own domain name server. Can this continue on Cloud Reseller at no additional cost?
    Last edited by whtra; 01-21-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Yes I was referring to GNU Compiler. If you have not used it then you are fine. Yep you can manually install Wordpress or any other PHP program for that fact if you want to although unlike Site Manager, Softaculous lets you install as many instances as you want of a program and where you want it. It also handles setting up the database for you.

I've installed quite a few things that are not available via Softaculous with no problems at all.

More then likely though you are more concerned about moving the current WP installations you have which is why you asked about this. Just remember when you move those current WP files from your Site Manager accounts to the new cPanel accounts that you need to make the changes to database name and username. They are now prefaced with your main username so the old setting won't work.

In WHM can domain accounts (clients) be assigned either POP3 or IMAP email?
    No I can't find anyway to restrict them to just one or the other. They get to choose how they want to access thier mail themselves. Unlike in a Site Manager if you want IMAP, POP3 is not disabled. You have both.
    Shawn

@whtra, thanks for the questions, surely others are thinking the same thing.

As Shawn mentioned VPS.NET is our sister company and the cloud configuration for WestHost is the same as VPS.NET; Xen virtualization, cloud tech, etc.We do some things a little differently in that it's fully managed and all installs include cPanel/WHM. The cloud offering will be even more different later this year however, still developing the features

The resources for the cloud are fully dedicated thanks to Xen virtualization. One of the reasons we chose Xen over Virtuozzo, for example, is for it's ability to actually dedicate the specs. Because we include cPanel, your mail, database, FTP servers are automatically installed and you set them up through the control panel rather than manually. Some use the cloud to set-up a mail server (I send newsletters through a cloud mail server), or database server but if you buy a cloud plan then your mail, database, etc are all installed as a service inside the VPS and they are totally dedicated to you. We can't/don't oversell resources on the cloud.

All the services would share the same resources so if you have a Basic reseller with 1.2GHz, 752MB RAM etc. then your VPS shares those resources. Anyone else you put on your VPS would also share those resources.

You can use your own domain name server for the cloud reseller accounts with no extra charge.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

Do I understand this correctly? I can upgrade mysellf and get three months to do it at no charge. If I select quarterly billing and enter the correct code. Why didn't you guys do this in the first place?

The following is from the newsletter.
    Lastly, although we can't conduct the migration for you, we realize that many of you would like migrate to the cPanel platform yourselves. If you choose to do so, we want you to have enough months to comfortably move your data, configure databases, set-up email users, etc. therefore we've made it financially convenient through the following coupon codes.

HAPPYNEWYEAR083 – First 4 months free with no commitment and no initial payment* on any Web hosting plan.
    HAPPYNEWYEAR105 – First 2 months free with no commitment and no initial payment* on any Cloud hosting plan.
    HAPPYNEWYEAR116 – First 2 months free with no commitment and no initial payment* on any Reseller hosting plan.
    HAPPYNEWYEAR043 – First month free with no commitment and no initial payment on any dedicated server.

In addition to a discount, we'll apply any remaining credit from your current plan to the new plan once you've finished migrating to cPanel and closed your Site Manager account.
    So is this a gimick or just a sneaky clause ?

*To avoid an initial payment you must choose the quarterly billing cycle (monthly billing if you choose Cloud or Reseller). After the first billing cycle ends and it becomes time to renew, you may change to a different billing cycle for a less expensive monthly rate. Coupon code works for any billing cycle but if you choose a billing cycle that is more than the free period you will simply pay for additional months. For example if you choose shared hosting with an annual billing cycle you will pay for 8 months instead of 12. Code expires March 1, 2010
    I have requested an analysis of my account for migration, What will that tell me ? What is involved in this migration?

Thanks
    Don
    Last edited by dhartman; 01-23-2011 at 10:16 PM.

@dhartman, thanks for bringing this up. This is something that I can understand needs explanation so I'll try to be a clear as possible

The coupon code is set-up to give the first 4 [2, 1] months free so if you get a three month plan at first (it can be changed easily later) it does not charge you anything. If you get a 12 month plan then it will still subtract the 4 free months but you have to pay for the remaining 8 months in the billing cycle. I wanted to have the ability to just give 4 months free for any billing cycle but our billing system could not do that so this is the work-around that we created. I am sorry that this needs explanation, I really don't like that you had to ask this question but feel free to contact me if you have any problems whatsoever with it. The point was to make it is easy as possible to get a cPanel plan if you wanted one without having to pay for two plans at the same time.

If you wanted a plan with a less expensive monthly price and don't want to pay anything initially then get the 3 month billing cycle on the order form, and submit it with the code from the newsletter. Once your account has been set-up you can login to it at cp.westhost.com click on Billing > Services > Modify Billing Cycle > change to desired cycle.

Because coupon codes get out in the wild so easily, and this one could create major problems in the fraud arena, we had to put an expiration date on it but that DOES NOT mean you can't have same deal if you want it at a later date. If you want or need to wait after March 1 let me know and I can get you a personal code, no questions asked. I have also told this to our billing manager so they can help you as well.

Definitely not a gimmick or clause, just us trying to work with our billing system and trying to keep clients excited about us
    Last edited by jneeley; 01-24-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

More then likely though you are more concerned about moving the current WP installations you have which is why you asked about this. Just remember when you move those current WP files from your Site Manager accounts to the new cPanel accounts that you need to make the changes to database name and username. They are now prefaced with your main username so the old setting won't work.
    From CPanel/WHM:
    With version 11.28, cPanel & WHM introduces the Database Mapping feature. This feature lays the groundwork for providing more flexibility in naming databases and database users.

In the past, cPanel has always prepended an account's username to any database name or database username created by the account (for example, a database might be named "user_dbname"). This changes with the addition of the Database Mapping feature.

In cPanel 11.28, Database Mapping provides the following benefits:

1. Accounts transferred from non-cPanel servers, such as those running Plesk or Ensim, will no longer have the cPanel account name added as a prefix to the names of databases and database users. This means applications like blogs and forums should work with minimal (or no) changes after transfer.
    2. Server owners can disable use of the database name prefix server-wide. If a server owner chooses this option, databases and database users will no longer be created with the cPanel account as a prefix (for example, a database could be named "dbase" instead of "user_dbase"). This option is not reversible.
    What version of CPanel/WHM will be used for Cloud Reseller Plans? And could this apply?

Thank You
    Terri

Well WH is using cPanel version 11.28.64 but I am not seeing any references to Database Mapping in either cPanel or in WHM. I wonder if WestHost has opted to keep the prefixes?
    Shawn

The cloud offering will be even more different later this year however, still developing the features
    Can you give us a hint, if this will be different for resellers? I dont want to move me and my clients until I am sure about the hosting.

I am pretty sure I want a Xen Hypervisor server, from my research, not Parallels Virtuozzo?

One reason I need to change is that now that Westhost is a shared environment, the Sphera(Purchased by Parallels) VPS's seem to be in the shared environment as far as memory and cpu resources go like Virtuozzo.

Browser wait times, on the front end and even in the backend Site Manager seem forever sometimes.

From what I understand the Cloud Reseller has dedicated Ram & CPU?

So if there is wait time it will be because of my resources alone and can they be upgraded?

I am getting close to a decision
    Thank You
    Terri
    Last edited by whtra; 01-31-2011 at 04:37 PM.