Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes Maida that is correct. Although I don't believe that WestHost is going to require clients to move to cPanel if they don't want to even if they could work out an automated migration system. Now it may be that at some point they can find an alternative to the Sphera system or at least that is what I read in to this. "We're constantly seeking new developments to provide you the functionality of Sphera, without Sphera, so until we come to that point we'll keep your hosting solution alive." Perhaps at that time they would want to try and migrate or move existing Site Manager accounts to a new system but that was not really clear. Perhaps Jake can expand on that comment.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Maida made me realize another thing - upgrading also means charging my clients double their price (or at least paying more so eventually all clients combined would cover the increase). So it's not exactly between me and myself. The more clients refuse, the more the rest will unknowingly have to make up for them (hmm, maybe that's why it costs so much more).
    Last edited by LWC; 01-18-2011 at 03:49 AM.

We don't have specific plans for a mandatory migration from the Site Manager platform and if you don't want to move to cPanel right now then you don't need to. As I mentioned in the initial post/newsletter the software Site Manager runs on is not being developed any more by the parent company so it won't be an eternal solution which is why we're looking for other solutions for everyone that wants it. Some of our research suggests that some accounts, how they are configured and what is installed, will never work with cPanel or other common platforms unless some the account owners change their configuration and update the installed applications.

I also mentioned earlier that we'll be launching a more flexible cloud solution in the next year. This can certainly be a (maybe THE?) solution for everyone on Site Manager who needs that functionality. We obviously still have work to do before this goes live but I say this as a tickler that we are indeed delivering solutions.

@LWC, the cost is more because the platform is different. The cloud is more reliable than a shared server because of what I've said previously. We're not just charging more to charge more, the platform is different and our costs are higher (one of the benefits of the new cloud solution will be flexibility in price too).
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

The platform is different and our costs are higher.
    I understand how you feel, but my programs will work just the same. And if that's how I feel, imagine how it would feel explaining the upgrade to end clients who don't (and shouldn't) care what cPanel is. If you said "your sites will load in half the time" that would be a different scenerio. But if the only noticeable change is up time, then like I said it was already "99% up time" before the change.

As a token of our appreciation, and commitment to you we’ve applied a free upgrade to the specs of all Site Manager accounts. In addition, if you haven't seen them already, we given you a few coupon codes in the newsletter sent today to enhance your hosting experience.
    I am currently a 3.0 (Site Manager) Reseller thinking of changing to cloud reseller and did not receive the newsletter that you mentioned. Where can i view this?

I also have some questions about how Cloud Reseller will handle mySQL files when transferring.

If I understand correctly in Cloud Reseller the cPanel WHM would control one install of mySql shared by my cloud reseller plan. Is this correct?

Regarding databases;

Would I need to export, from 3.0, using phpmyAdmin, each of my cllient's individual database tables?

Can they still keep their individual mySQL passwords?

How would I configure this in cPanel WHM?

Thank You
    Terri
    Last edited by whtra; 01-19-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks for asking You can view the newsletter here http://www.westhost.com/newsletters/...cator/jan2011/

I will have a tech support person respond to your other questions.
    Jake Neeley
    Social Media Manager | WestHost

I may be able to answer your questions about MySQL. You will need to transfer all the databases and their tables to your new account using either phpMyAdmin or via command line. Depending on how many clients you have this could be a pretty big task by phpMyAdmin. You actually have to create the databases and users that you have on your Site Manager account manually over at your new cPanel account. This FAQ over at my site well give you more details of the process. http://wildjokerdesign.net/faq/how-d...-my-40-account

It sounds like it might be a good idea in your situation to contact WestHost direct via support ticket and ask them to evaluate what it would take to move.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

whtra - Yes the database(s) will need to be exported from 3.0 and then imported into the 4.0 environment. You can do that either way as 'wildjokerdesign' stated (command line or phpmyadmin). You would have to create the databases and users on the 4.0 environment and then import the tables/data to it.

The best thing to do in order to find out what this migration will consist of is to submit our support team a ticket at: http://members.westhost.com/contactus.html requesting us to analysis your account for the migration. We will then respond to that ticket letting you know what all needs to be done regarding the migration.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions.
    Westhost Tech Support Team Lead

Thank You for the information; jneeley, wildjokerdesign & golsen.

I will submit a ticket to the support team requesting an analysis.

I have received the analysis results from the support team for migrating from Site Manager to cPanel. It looks like there are only a few issues.

I have some questions that might be answered here regarding a change form Site Manger Reseller to cPanel Cloud Reseller.

What Xen brand/release is used for Virtualization? Is this still vps.net?

Will there be dedicated resources for the Cloud Reseller vps like in 3.0 such as:
    Dedicated Web Server
    Dedicated Mail Server
    Dedicated Database Server
    Dedicated FTP Server
    And would my client's share these resources with only me?

Where can I find what applications are available in the Softaculous Application Installer?

Are OS and Applications updated automatically as they are in 3.0 and is this included in the plan at no additional cost?

Can I install other software outside of Softaculous?

I currently have my own domain name server. Can this continue on Cloud Reseller at no additional cost?

Can there be parked/secondary domains in the accounts?

In the analysis support stated:
    (If they don't have IMAP or Dovecot installed Your email currently uses POP3 protocol. It must first be upgraded to IMAP (specifically using Dovecot IMAP Server) in order to copy all existing mail to the new account.
    Does this mean there is no pop3 email in Cloud Reseller? The reseller page states:
    POP3/IMAP Support
    ?

I'm sure there are more but that is all for now.

Thank You
    Terri
    Last edited by whtra; 01-20-2011 at 01:27 PM.