Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

oh, so you're the guy that orders from Pizza hut with a bogus email : )

when WH sets up an account I believe that there is a default email domain@domain.com ?

but if I look under email accounts within the WH3 manager this isn't listed. Is there a reason why this isn't listed in the manager, and should I create a separate account from this for this purpose?

thanks

Wildjoker.
    I understand it's possible to add SPF records ourselves with WH4.0.
    Have you manged to set up SPF on a 4.0 site?
    Recently I got a 4.0 site, but am a little confused about how to set up SPF on it.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    -Plato.

The default email account that is set up by WestHost does not show up in the manager. You don't have to add it (unless something has changed) to use it.

Armadillo,
    Under the Domains heading on the right look for Advanced "DNS Zone Editor". On the resulting page you see the following inputs.

Name: example.com
    TTL: 14400
    Type: TXT
    Address: The output from http://old.openspf.org/wizard.htm

Hit the Add Record button and you are good to go!

Notes:
    You do need the quotation marks around the "Address" that you enter. It is best just to copy and past what you see in the output. Also example.com should be replaced with your domain name.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

>What I have seen a lot of lately is the DHL confirmations of a package. They get caught both by server SA and by my PC viral checker.

I wasn't getting the DHL confirmations when I was forwarding my email directly to GMail. I assume they burned up the emails as soon as they appeared. But now that GMail picks up the emails via POP3, it leaves them on the server. So today is the first time that I noticed them.

I don't have Spam Assassin installed because I always relied upon GMail for this. And I could easily find any emails that went into the spam filter by mistake.

How reliable is Spam Assassin with "false positives" and kicking out good emails?
    Is there a spam folder that I can locate ... just incase?
    Will SA eliminate these DHL notices?

thanks.

The only thing that SA is going to do is filter the emails and tag them. It well not move them to another folder or delete them. In order to move or delete emails marked by SA you actually have to create Procmail rules that do that. If you search on Procmail her in the forums you should come up with some varieties that folks have used here at WestHost.
    Shawn

it looks like WH4 (the site in question is unfortunately a WH3) SA version can create a "spam box" but needs to be cleared manually.

http://www.westhost.com/cpanel-demo.html

I'm wondering if I'm better off just forwarding my emails to Gmail. I don't see any convenient way of getting rid of the DHL email/viruses that were handled previously by Gmail without any intervention. I'd rather not let them sit on the server.

it seems that adding SA to the GMail scenario creates the same problem of forwarding the mail directly to Gmail.

From what I've read, pressing the spam button in Gmail on a forwarded email can potentially tag your IP as the sender. I assume is why I was getting the circular effect of returned mail from Google.

So it seems that SA tags the emails as SPAM, and then it's sent from my server to Gmail. Gmail then assumes I'm sending the emails and potentially creates the same problem as forwarding mail directly to Gmail.
    Last edited by J_M; 08-02-2010 at 08:33 AM.

I don't see how SA tagging emails as spam would effect Gmail unless they read some of the same headers for thier spam filters as SA creates. The only thing that SA does is add headers to the email that can then be read and filtered. You can also set it up to alter the subject line. That is where the word SPAM comes in. That word can be controlled if you want. You could change that to anything you wanted.
    Shawn

>I don't see how SA tagging emails as spam would effect Gmail unless they read some of the same headers for thier spam filters as SA creates. The only thing that SA does is add headers to the email that can then be read and filtered.

When an email is forwarded from WH to Gmail, this is causing a problem (as per the thread on WH>Gmail setup) and I assume it is because they are reading the header and this somehow plays into the problem.

Since SA was only finding the SPAM that Gmail already identified and Gmail found others too, I'll play it safe and not use SA at this point.

thanks again, j