Thread: Komodo Edit

Default Komodo Edit

Anyone using this editor? I would like to upgrade to Komodo to replace my obsolete Homesite++. Of all things, I can't connect to the server from within Komodo.

I configured Komodo server preferences to FTP, Port 21, username and pw, and /var/www/cgi-bin at my ip. I get Komodo's "Cannot change directory:" error. It searches for directory listings I'm using this path on FTP_Pro on the PC, Fetch on the Mac, and it seems to be the indicated path for WestHost. Their forum examples show /usr/public_html which we don't use. I even tried just /var/www with and without trailing slash.

On the Mac I can get a timeout but no file or directory listings. I'm stumped.

The trouble is, this question is so basic, there just don't seem to be any hits. One person in the Komodo forum reported this error years ago, but eliminated it by removing the trailing slash from the path. I can't get _any_ of the common-sense usages to work. So, I'm hoping: do we have a Komodo user on WestHost who is making server connections? I would sure be grateful for your help!
    Alex
    summitlake.com

Alex,

What is it you are trying to do? I use EditPlus (link in signature) and WinSCP to connect and manage my sites. Both are free programs. EditPlus is for editing my site files and the WinSCP is for uploading and downloading them. I connect via SFTP in WinSCP so it is secure.

I don't use Komodo but did download it and give it a test run. I was unable to connect via FTP and not sure what it was doing. I was able to connect with it via SFTP although the program seemed pretty sluggish on my computer compared to WinSCP. For SFTP you use port 22.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Hi Shawn, thanks for the reply! My old HomeSite++ was part of the old Macromedia Dreamweaver bundles. It had syntax editing, simple project support, and still works well if you can get it. I was looking for something a little more robust. Thanks for the link on WinSCP. I downloaded it. Naive Q: is there a practical downside to unsecure FTP (as long as identity theft issues aren't possible)?

I Googled Komodo Edit FTP more and finally found FTP info that way. Their community site states:

Can Komodo Edit do FTP publishing?
    No - Komodo does not offer any push/pull remote file support - all of Komodo's remote file actions operate on the real remote files.

Basically I think they only support remote single file editing. I do like their find/search and GUI layout very much. It is useful to be able to add libraries that support a project. I'll keep working with Komodo and may adopt it. I can see it's a bit slow on startup but it runs on a fairly fast desktop and is very responsive thereafter. I haven't worked up the nerve to install ActivePerl on my PC. My Mac has the complete environment built-in but I have not been as successful as I'd like setting up a local site mirror.

Cheers!
    Alex
    summitlake.com

I like SFTP simply as another layer of protection when transferring files. Since we can use it with a WH account I do. With FTP every transfer can be "seen". Also your log in is transferred in insecure.

EditPlus does have project and FTP support but I don't use either really. I don't run an environment locally and it looks like that is where Komodo can be really helpful. I may play with it some more but it can be really hard to teach on old dog new tricks.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

SFTP is very cool. WS_FTP_Pro had support all along and I didn't know to select SFTP. I'm in now. Thanks Shawn! -- Alex
    Alex
    summitlake.com