Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PHP 5.3 migration for WH 3.0 Users

Has anybody migrated to PHP 5.3 on westhost (3.0) ? I'd very much like to migrate my apps and especially new development to PHP5.3 to take advantage of the new OO features.

But eaccelerator does not seem to support 5.3 yet? Anybody managed to work around this? Have you installed other opcode caches (XCache/APC etc.)

I don't think it's viable to use PHP without a cache, so this has become a no-go situation with 5.3, and I'd like to know if others have done this..

thanks.

Well it looks like Release 0.9.6 rc1 supports php 5.3 but it is a release candidate. Normally you would not want to run a release candidate on a live account. So you could try and install it from source.

I've not moved to 5.3 yet simply because there are still too many scripts out there that do not yet support it. If you are doing all your own development of scripts then that is not really an issue.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

One of the biggest issues we've run into is that the ereg functions are now deprecated as of 5.3. Any application that uses ereg functions is likely to break, including Uebimiau 2.7.10.

A year ago I was working on a website project which used PHP as a language of choice. The project development resulted in quite large amount of PHP code. After a brief research we decided that organising our code the way Zend Framework is organized is our way to go. While ZF’s naming conventions are a nice and effective way to autoload classes and avoid naming conflicts, it is still a bit cumbersome at coding stage (long class names).

At that time I had my first glance at PHP 5.3 feature list and namespaces seemed a good step forward from current practice. Unfortunately stable PHP 5.3 release was far from being released so I had to dump the namespace idea for that particular project. But I decided to migrate to PHP 5.3 as soon as possible.

Another part of the story is server administration. On all the servers I manage I utilise PHP opcode caching. Currently I use eAccelerator and I am satisfied with it’s performance and stability. But eAccelerator’s website (at the moment of this writing) states nothing about PHP 5.3 support. Therefore I was forced to look elsewhere.

Many websites recommend APC with the suggestion that it is being actively maintained, unlike some other opcode caches. I remember back in year 2004 when I was testing it and comparing it to Turck MM cache that its performance sucked. Unfortunately I have no evidence to support my claim, but it is also irrelevant in 2009. Yet “actively maintained” phrase implies hope that APC supports PHP 5.3. And its changelog confirms it.

First stable PHP 5.3 version was released last week and I was psyched to at least test it, but I did not want to be held back by an opcode caching solution, so I decided to compare eAccelerator and APC again. If APC performs as well as eAccelerator does (both on PHP 5.2.9), then I will seriously consider migration to PHP 5.3 and migration from eAccelerator to APC.
    The MB2-631 and NS0-153 is worldwide accredited certification that validates in NS0-154 and NS0-163 with the professionalís knowledge and skills of IT system security.

The only ones who can migrate are those who already have 5.3. If you uninstall it (or don't already have it), you can only install 5.2.

The question is will this situation be changed now that:
    Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://php.net/releases/5_2_16.php]PHP 5.2.16 Release Announcement[/url]
    This release marks the end of support for PHP 5.2.
    ?

Default Php 5.3

PHP 5.3 was added to WestHost 3.0 accounts for a short time before causing many unnecessary problems. Our development team then restricted the Site Manager applications to the more stable 5.2 line.

I will send this information regarding PHP's discontinued support for the 5.2.x versions to our development team so that a stable 5.3 version can be made available.
    Isaac Furniss
    Technical Support Team Manager
    Contact Support: E-mail | Live Chat | Twitter

http://www.westhost.com/

I'm happy to announce that thanks for everyone who posted here or contacted Westhost personally, Westhost has added PHP v5.3.4! Kind of antique for v5.3 but at least it opened the door for v5.3.

It should be noted though that Westhost has removed the "upgrade" feature (at least for those with PHP v5.3.0). So one has to uninstall, then re-install.
    Last edited by LWC; 01-13-2011 at 04:21 AM.

I wanted to see if this was an option we could provide, but our Development team recommends leaving it as an uninstall / re-install method for the upgrade. This will allow the change to be complete since it is a larger step up in terms of 5.2.x to 5.3.x. Also if there are any applications that have problems running in the 5.3.x environment the system will be able to throw up the warning so you know which apps may no longer work with the new PHP. Most of the applications will run just fine and no errors or warnings will populate the install window of 5.3.x as you install it.

If that is unclear, please let me know or contact Tech Support directly.
    Isaac Furniss
    Technical Support Team Manager
    Contact Support: E-mail | Live Chat | Twitter

http://www.westhost.com/

Although I'm on 4.0, this might help any user troubleshoot/fix some older, custom scripts to comply with PHP 5.3+.

1. One was warnings/errors with "file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]" not being able to parse variable <a href> paths. Went to the scripts, searched for where "file_get_contents" was and inserted "if (is_file($local_path))" (without quotes) before the function. The actual PHP include file path was ?php include("/home/user name/public_html/path to script/script name.php");

Sorry, can't remember 3.0 path exactly, but would start out /var/www/html/ (please correct).

2. Regarding the ereg, eregi issues, followed these instructions from PHP.net: http://php.net/manual/en/migration53.deprecated.php

As they will no longer work in PHP 6+, it may be worth your time to update if you know they won't be updated by the developer.

Read extremely carefully! Make sure you "dot your i's" and "cross your t's" exactly. If you've done everything correctly, you'll no longer see these issues in your error logs.

WH, please add eAccelerator latest Release-0.9.6.1 to the Server Manager Repository to be compatible with PHP 5.3.

Thanks