Thread: Spam problem

Default Spam problem

I have the site circlef.net. The problem I,m having is spam. I get it on my word press blog. I shut down the guest book. because of it . On phpbb3 It had gotten so bad that I moved the forum to a diffrent place on my site and set up new forum at that location . Are others having this problem? I use joomla for the cms you can view at www.circlef.net/joomla . I have disabled most links in the menu that link to work press and my other forums. Can any one advise me what to do to try to fix this.
    The other problem Is in phpbb3.4 I had a user sign him self up and approve them self as a member. then post spam. In doing so the user regerstion became changed.
    after they were done I could only turn them on our off. I did not have the choise of by admin our by user. those two choise were gone , has any one else had this problem
    Ronald

You need to investigate the options you have for each of the programs in question. For example Joomla has both built in and add on extensions for captcha spam control. The same goes for phpBB 3 and Wordpress. It sounds like perhaps your phpBB 3 forum was compromised. Check their site for solutions. Sorry to send you off someplace else but that really is the best way to keep up with the programs you are using.

Also even if you have installed the programs via Site Manager (I assume you are still on WestHost 3.0), you can still update most of those programs manually so that they are kept at the current version. I believe that all of them have notification abilities in the admin section to let you know when your version is out of date.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

I was looking at your Joomla site. Why do you have the Administrator Link and Login module showing on your pages? Unless you want folks to register to the Joomla end of your site and edit things there is no real need for that. Bookmark your link to the admin area for yourself then drop the login and admin stuff.

Are you sure you need Joomla and Wordpress? Having to update and maintain both can take extra time you may not have. They are in essence the same type of program.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thank you for your reply. I have been learning both joomla and word press by working with both of them. I do manual up dates on some of my phpbb forums. On joomla I use the sign in to get to link that are for regusited users. I made a mail box for family memers ant it's how they check it; I started out two years a go on my site /net zero. I was going to do a on line store. at that time i was also doing research on child discipline. I came a cross some children that needed help. I working on trying to help them. While there is no law about the way they are punished it amounst to abuse. I will not go in to it here but If you want you can email me and we can talk about it. Most people just turn ther backs and look the other way
    YOu will have to parden the spelling . Do not have time to edit it at this time thats on reason i like phpbb just wish they had a spell checker
    Ronald
    Last edited by ronaldf; 11-28-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: time/spelling