Default too many keywords?

Hi

We have a new client, a sunglass manufacturer who's main product is a high-end technically advanced, UV blocking, NASA endorsed, designer polarized oversized aviator sunglass. I did these in bold to show you pretty much all the key words we used in combinations to test ads and evaluate the strongest, focused combinations and see how best to apportion their fairly modest $100/day starter budget.

Meanwhile, the Sunglass company's marketing director has presented us with a spread sheet containing over 1000 of the most irrelevant keywords you could imaging (i.e. "wholesale cowgirl sunglasses", "vampire sunglasses" elvis sunglasses" etc, etc) , insisting that we start out with using all of them. I asked her where she got them. She replied she got them from "a competitive search engine" they had once used who had, in turn, gotten them from Google and had used them all because they were "long-tail" key words and were really cheap.

Instead of replying that this was rediculous, I thought it might be wise to consult with those who know (i.e. you folks). Question: Isn't there some sane limit for testing key words without Google simply wholesale disqualifying the campaign? Given this particular market where the google estimated CPC range is from around a dollar to 4 dollars, and given the $100/day budget, isn't there some rule of thumb to the number of keys you can use?

All of this points to the fact that I don't really know how Google works in terms of matching key words to search terms. Is there any place I can find this out?

Thanks,

Ron FInley
    Last edited by Ron Finley; 11-04-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Do they sell those things? If not then why would you use them? To me it would make sense that you want to zero in on your market if you are paying for it and not just get hits that may not be interested in buying something. If you did not sell vampire sunglasses then why would you want to pay for a customer to come to your site just to leave because you don't have them. Cheap is not always the best. I don't really know how Google logic works, this is just common sense on my part.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

If you use this in method in a reasonable fashion it well not hurt. Your keywords should match the content that is in the text of your site. In other words don't put blue in your keywords if your site is all about green.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

You need to use keyword sparingly of course. In an article of 500- 700 words you should have at most 8-10 keywords.