Question Server overload happening on my account

Server overload has been reported to my account, which is mainly using approx. 10 user blog wordpress mu. I'm killing other applications, but I never heard server overload with using wordpress with less people.

Any other wpmu users facing this?

Is it maybe an addon feature for Wordpress? Sorry can't remember what they call them on Wordpress. Something that would perhaps process images extensively. How much traffic are the sites getting. At one point on one of my sites I had to restrict access to Gallery for Search engines because they where hitting it so often it was driving my bandwidth sky high. It might be worth looking at that.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

My server's been always more 95% empty... more than 95% traffic available every month, more than 95% HDD space available every month. I'm paying for discount rate, so I don't mind, but I have too much empty space.

You might end up haveing to move to vps.net for this. I am not real sure if a normal shared hosting situation can handle it. With every request including images mod_rewrite is used to try and figure out what domain needs to be served up. I think even the database has to be hit to do this. Not real sure of all the ends and outs but with the research I have done it is suggested that Wordpress MU be run on a dedicated server or at the very least on a VPS. You might need to move to vps.net with maybe a minimum of two nodes.
    Shawn

Even the Wordpress MU FAQ seems to suggest that shared hosting is not the best set up for the program.

What sort of hardware does it need?

This is a tricky question, it really depends on how many blogs you expect to host, an how many pageviews you expect to get. A single box running both web and MySQL will get you pretty far, probably to about 10-20 thousand blogs. Get something reasonably fast with RAID 5 hard drives. If or when that starts to strain, simply split MySQL and Apache on to one box each, and update the wp-config file as necessary. Always get the best stuff you can afford, and if people are trusting you with their blog make sure to keep backups.
    While right now we have a VPS environment it does not extend to resource management. That is why I suggested vps.net in the above post.
    Shawn

I've been testing VPS.net, but this is TOO hard for a non system admin to modify, for example BIND configurations, etc. Installing mod_rewrite etc is easy as there's lot of document online with real working commands.

What VPS.net provides matches my exact need, and I haven't found any other host meeting my needs so far, but it's impossible to manage their vps if you don't know how or have enough experience.

I understand your hesitancy with vps.net. Actually that is the reason I decide to stick here with WestHost. The learning curve for me was too wide. Most likely if you could stay with it for a six month period you could learn enough. The help on their forum is great and they where coming out with many images and features that helped the experienced.

vps.net does have a managed option but it is bit pricey. It might be worth it to you though if you are hosting that many blogs and they are bringing you some type of income. Maybe even just go with the managed set up at first then take over once you see how things are set up and done.
    Shawn