Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Correctly Forwarding Your WestHost E-mail To Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, Apple, etc.

If you are hosting in our cPanel system, please take note that some of the instructions below will have configuration settings that may not apply to your account. Please see this post for more details there.

Oftentimes we want to setup e-mail addresses @yourdomain.com through WestHost, but access them through another e-mail provider. Maybe you're looking to access your WestHost e-mail in the comfort of the familiar, spam-free Gmail interface. Maybe you have set Hotmail as your browser's home page and want to see all of your e-mail in one convenient location. Maybe you already have e-mail with your SBC Global DSL service and would like to have all of your messages directed to the e-mail account with your Internet service provider. Whatever the reason, it is important to set up e-mail forwarding correctly to ensure that you get reliable access to forwarded mail.

For best results, do not use the e-mail forwarding/alias features within your WestHost account to forward mail to another provider!
    Forwarding your e-mail will forward your spam, causing your WestHost account to be seen as a sender of spam. This can cause your WestHost account to get blacklisted, preventing some or even all of your e-mails from arriving! To prevent this, the destination e-mail account (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, etc.) should be configured to download mail directly from your WestHost account. This is called remote POP access (the majority of webmail providers today allow you to setup remote POP access -- look in your destination e-mail account's Settings or Options page for a section on "Accounts", "Mail Accounts", "External Accounts", "Remote POP Account Access", etc.)

Instead, follow the step-by-step instructions below to configure remote POP access at your destination e-mail provider:

These e-mail providers also support remote POP. Refer to the documentation from the e-mail provider for information on how to setup remote POP access:

When setting up your WestHost account via remote POP, you may be prompted for some the following information (replace yourdomain.com with your domain name):
    • Incoming Mail Server (POP3): mail.yourdomain.com
    • Username: user@yourdomain.com
    • Password: (your WestHost e-mail account password)
    • Leave mail on POP server: No
      (or, Delete messages after downloading from POP server: Yes)

If your WestHost account is using the old IMAP Server 1.0, you won't be able to use this remote POP technique to "forward" your mail. You can still use this with the new Dovecot IMAP Server, however. If you have the Dovecot IMAP Server installed, follow the directions as above except configure the destination account to use SSL encrypted connections on port 995. (If your WestHost account has the default POP mail server, please do not use encrypted connections and continue to use the default port 110.)

Unfortunately, the following providers do not support remote POP access at this time. You may still wish to contact your provider and request the feature so they know this is something customers want.
    Last edited by ifurniss; 10-08-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update with cpanel info
    Nick Venturella
    WestHost Technical Support
    Contact Support: E-mail | Live Chat

When you expect more from your Web host
    http://www.westhost.com/

So why does Gmail, for example, suggest using the other party's forwarding before resorting to fetching themselves?
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=56283
    To enforce that preference, they even limit fetching to just five other email accounts:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=21288
    So if you have lots of users, they make sure you'll have no choice but to use forwarding and not fetching.
    Last edited by LWC; 09-04-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LWC View Post
    So why does Gmail, for example, suggest using the other party's forwarding before resorting to fetching themselves?
    Gmail states no preference; they simply offer both methods. Fetching will always work better (read: fetching is always more reliable), but of course it causes slightly more load on the servers. If Gmail is responsible to poll your mailbox, that's extra work for Gmail. Also, fetching is slightly slower than forwarding -- the message won't arrive in Gmail until the next time Gmail polls your WestHost account -- but again, it is more reliable and allows the "Report Spam" button to function properly.
    Last edited by nventurella; 01-13-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    Nick Venturella

Default Sending Email to my Account Using Gmail

This is a GREAT resource. I was able to successfully setup my POP3 account through Gmail. However, it asked me if I wanted to send email to my hosting email account (so that way it doesn't look like it came from Gmail) and I would like to setup that up - but I'm unsure how to do it. I read through the Gmail instructions and also went through all the steps of setting it up through the WestHost getsatisfaction.com area. Can I even do this?

Yes, you can also send OUT through the WestHost server (to prevent your Gmail address from being visible)!

For all WestHost 4.0 clients (new accounts established in or after November 2009, with cPanel), no modifications are necessary to the server and this should already work. The main trick is to select port 25 instead of the default port number for the outgoing mail SMTP server setup in Gmail.

If you are a WestHost 3.0 client (accounts established before November 2009, with Site Manager), you need to do the following to enable this:

• You need a dedicated IP address on your account.
    • You need to contact Technical Support and have them enable the STARTTLS feature for your outgoing mail SMTP server.
    • After Technical Support has enabled the STARTTLS feature of sendmail, the main trick is to select port 25 instead of the default port number for the outgoing mail SMTP server setup in Gmail.

If you have further questions, please contact Technical Support and we can walk you through setting this up.
    Nick Venturella

Just to make sure, is it because Westhost 4.0 only works with a dedicated IP address? If so, that's good for anyone who uses their server for e-mail.

I am pretty sure that the entry level package on WH 4.0 is a named based account and not a dedicated IP account. In fact I think both Starter and Advanced packages are name based unless you pay the extra $1.95 a month (at time of this post).
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

So how come you said only 3.0 users need a dedicated IP?

Well it was Nick that stated that but I am sure that it is because the differences in the systems. Some things that took a dedicated IP on WH 3.0 accounts are now possible with WH 4.0 accounts. Pretty much anything to do with email and multiple domain management has been made easier with WH 4.0.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

I originally had my emails forwarded to GMail via an alias. I changed the setup as per above and now I have GMail pickup the email via POP3.

This should fix the problem that I was having with spam sent back to WH via GMail then returned to me via "Mail Delivery Subsytem" error.

But, now I have received a notice from GMail (obfuscated below), how should I handle the emails that are left on the WH mail server by GMail, I generally have GMail remove all emails when picked up, so this leaves the spam on the server. Does this mean that GMail will no longer handle SPAM for me via POP3 and it only leaves it on the original server? thanks

begin notice from GMail :

>The message "Postmaster notify: see transcript for details" from Mail Delivery Subsystem >(MAILER-DAEMON@domain.com) contained a virus or a suspicious attachment. It was therefore >not fetched from your account mail@domain.com and has been left on the server.

>If you wish to write to Mail, just hit reply and send Mail a message.

>Thanks,

>The Gmail Team